Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

pics of my succulents

kuroc
10 years ago

Hello here are some pics of the succulents I currently have enjoy.

My succulent shelf
{{gwi:582321}}

My Tricolor Jade
{{gwi:582322}}

{{gwi:582323}}

My Hobbit Jade
{{gwi:582324}}

{{gwi:582325}}

my silver dollar jade
{{gwi:582326}}

{{gwi:582327}}

crassula springtime
{{gwi:582328}}

{{gwi:582329}}

Sempervivum rubellum mahogany
{{gwi:582330}}

{{gwi:582331}}

Comments (17)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

love the jades. everything from cuttings?

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were not cuttings. They came from walmart and lowes.

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

Nice crassula collection

• sradleye
    10 years ago

gotcha, I was just thinking because they mostly looked like single stems. everything I get there have multiples usually. and I don't ever see cool ass crassula variations there either! looks like a high tech system you got there as well. I just picked up a three tiered rack I plan to use in the winter in conjunction with window lighting. what kind of length of day do you do for winter months? I am thinking to mimic the sunrise/sunset here with some leeway on both sides.

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

sradley, I also grow succulents under lights. Since I live in an apartment with a landlord who won't let me grow plants on my porch, the plants live inside year-round. During the summer, I usually give the plants 16-18h to compensate for the light being less intense than natural sunlight. I "shorten" the winter lighting time to ~14h. Any less than that and the jades and aloes start complaining, so I have to move my Christmas cactus to another part of the apartment in order to get it to bloom! Since you have window lighting as well as the artificial lighting, you may be able to get away with a shorter 'day' than I do if you gradually acclimate your plants to being under artificial light. I have had good luck with this lighting system in growing various Crassulaceae ('regular' C. ovata, Crosby's compact mini, Ripple jade, Gollum jade, and string of buttons) as well as Aloe vera, Juvenna aloe, Christmas cactus, and a Haworthia venosa ssp tessellata which has just begun to send out offsets. I do find that I have to be vigilant against overwatering, fungal infections, and mealybugs with the indoor regime, probably because the plants are in an enclosed space with worse air circulation than if I could have them on the porch.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

thank you kataclysm. very good info. I am particularly interested in my crassulas I only have baby jade and Gollum but I think I now have a favorite kind of plant....and the porch isn't all its cracked up to be, I just had to run and pull all my succulents inside lol raining too hard not enough protection out there.

so a couple questions
    1 - am keeping them outside until night temps hit probably 40 degrees, maybe closer to freezing for the jades, will they need an adjustment time to the artificial light or can I just blast away for 12 to 14 hours?
    2- do your jades flower? from what I have been reading they need daytimes less than 12 hours to do so
    3 - if you are ever looking to get rid of cuttings let me know ;) sradleye@gmail.com

thanks for your help

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

1) Other people will be able to speak better as to how to move the jades indoors. I would imagine that you'll need to gradually transition them inside over time, but as I said, my plants live inside year-round.

2) My jades don't flower. Maybe someday if we all move to somewhere with better light, I'll be able to see them bloom. I'm just happy to be able to keep them putting out new growth and staying reasonably compact for me! My Christmas cactus does bloom, mainly because I am not scared to take it out of the light. It was my first cactus/succulent plant and I know it to be amazingly forgiving of a wide range of abuses.

3) Sure thing -- my plants are pretty young though, so it might be a while before I have any cuttings worth anyone's time ;)

Oh, and also, to the OP -- I love your pics and your indoor garden! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has perversely chosen to grow these plants despite not having the outdoor space for them! Jealous of your variegated jade (although not for long, I have a cutting coming to me in the mail, mua ha ha ha...)

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With the jades there were multiple plants in each pot. When I repotted I just put 1 plant in each pot.
    I'm trying to bonsai them.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also Both of the main stems on the tri color are connected below the soil line.

The potting medium I used for my succlents is equal parts MG cactus and plam soil, coarse sand, and perilite.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Lovely! And nice to see another succulent lover in the state :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Nice collection, Kuroc! :-)
    Some of my favorites in there.

As for bringing Jades in for the Winter, you really don't need to acclimate them (and if you're putting them under lights, even better). When taking them *out* in Spring, you need to take the time so as not to sunburn the leaves.

Josh

• hablu
    10 years ago

Nice collection.
    I would bring that Semp outside and place in the ground - no pot; they are very winterhard.
    harry

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some updated pics I took of my succulents in september. I will take some this month and post them too.

Jade A
    {{gwi:582332}}
    Jade B
    {{gwi:582333}}

Jade Hobbit
    {{gwi:582334}}

Jade gollum A
    {{gwi:582335}}

Jade gollum B
    {{gwi:582336}}

Jade Blue bird
    {{gwi:582337}}

Jade Silver Dollar
    {{gwi:582338}}

Jade Crosby's Compact
    {{gwi:582339}}

Jade Tricolor
    {{gwi:582340}}
    Tricolor Leaf
    {{gwi:582342}}

Hummel's sunset Jade
    {{gwi:582344}}
    Hummels sunset leaf
    {{gwi:582346}}

Sempervivum rubellum mahogany
    {{gwi:582348}}

Crassula Springtime
    {{gwi:582350}}

Kalanchoe Farinacea
    {{gwi:582352}}

Kalanchoe Luciae

Mrtillocactus geometrizans

Portulacaria afra variegated A

Portulacaria afra variegated B

• kuroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I picked up some new babys at home depot on friday.

I believe this is jade ruba someone correct me if I'm wrong.

{{gwi:582364}}
    {{gwi:582366}}

Aloe Crosby's Prolific - Aloe nobilis x A. humilis
    {{gwi:582369}}

Crassula capitella 'Campfire'
    {{gwi:582372}}

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Nice collection of plants thanks for sharing

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Nice collection

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Ahhh..I see you caught the 'Succulent Fever'?

You certainly know how to make green plants look amazing..I love them all and of course the jades...Nice pots on a few of those too..

MIke