Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alkh86

Dragon fruit seed germination help!

alkh86
10 years ago

Hey All,

I recently posted about finding some dragon fruit at my local flea market and I need some advice. So I mashed up some of the fruit in water and spread the seeds out on paper towels to dry. I forgot about them and now they are glued to the paper towels! Should I try to pry the seeds off to germinate in my soil mix or maybe just wet the paper towel, place in a zip lock bag and wait for them to sprout and then move to the soil? I have read that it is difficult to remove the seedlings from the paper once they've sprouted. Any advice on the best way to approach this is greatly appreciated!

TIA

-A

Comments (19)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Why did you dry them?

Dragon fruit seed is best planted fresh. They will sprout immediately.

At this point, just germinate them with a bit of the paper towel attached. I'd sow them directly in the container, and keep the medium moist (not wet).

Josh

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sigh... I guess my thought process was i'd let them dry over night so the seeds would be easier to distribute. I removed them from the fruit on Saturday, so hopefully they are still fresh enough. I'll be peeling them off the paper tonight. It'll probably take ages :( argh! live and learn I suppose....

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed pirate girl for sure. I just didn't want an increased risk of mold growing on the paper. But at this point I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. I can always get more dragon fruit. Thnx

10 years ago

They'll germinate.

Wet the paper towel, then gently scrape them off :-)
    For those that don't come easily, plant with small pieces of the paper towel attached.

Josh

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Dragon fruit seeds are extremely easy to grow, just toss them on the soil, barely cover, or not, and you should start seeing seedlings within a week or so, but they do take forever to grow once they start looking like a cacti, here's a pic of some I planted last december, the longest one (not shown in this pic) is about two inches long. I have six pots full of them after I thinned them out and threw away hundreds of the smaller ones.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Actually my longest seedling is more then two inches, I lied, it's more like three inches, it even started growing a twin on it too this summer.

10 years ago

Yes, the first season in a pot doesn't see much growth...but the second season should show some serious growth. During the Summer, they like lots of water and fertilizer. I fertilize mine once a week. I had to re-pot last week...here's my 2 year, 3 month old Dragon Fruit, with a temporary support....

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Wow, I can't wait til next summer then, thats so awesome! ! I really wish mine would fatten up, I have mine outside getting sun til about noon, then shade the rest of the day, but I have no where else to put them. Maybe more fertilizer would make them more happy, I just used some today. I'll try to remember to do it more often.

• Andrew5643
    10 years ago

Just joined this site, was looking for an estimate of how many offshoots a dragon fruit will grow. I only want one pot of dragon fruit and I don't know how many seeds I should plant. Will one seed grow large enough to fill it, or should I plant a few so I have a bunch of shoots? (I have a few seeds that have already germinated, just not sure how many I should put in the pot.)

Hope that made sense, thanks!

• Nelson Marasco
    8 years ago

im new hi Got a fruit today,and this site.My first question is there a male and or female.Next how big does it get,up and side ways Thanks in advance.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Hi Nelson

Where are you located?
    I don't know if they are male & female...but I know they get very big; it is best to grow them on trellis outdoors.
    If you google 'dragon fruit plant' you will get many photos showing how they are grown for fruit.
    You could grow it as a houseplant, but it still gets quite big, even in small pot.
    It takes few years to bear fruit (6 or so?)

• Kim
    8 years ago

This is making me want to get some dragon fruit myself. How well do they handle being moved? I could grow one outside from about March to October here (ish, may have to take it inside on the colder evenings) then it would have to be inside the rest of the year. They are such beautiful plants, good luck to everyone and thanks for sharing!

• Nelson Marasco
    8 years ago

thanks for the help,and im a male aaaaa old male

8 years ago

They move just fine. However, they are covered in glochids, so moving them is a major pain! I recommend a very, very supportive scaffold or trellis to contain the floppy branches.

Josh

• mickeymouse14
    8 years ago

I live in Florida and have many plants and seedlings growing. Cutting are a faster way to get fruit..12-18 months. Seeds take up to 6 years! You need one main shoot to climb a pole 5 ft tall. Any that come out on the sides should be removed. You want all you strength to go up. YouTube has great video of this process and why you do this. You can plant 4 shoots to 1 pole and different makes for better cross pollination. My cuttings were planted last Nov. and are over my poles with new shoots 18" long. Greenman is right..water and fertilize!

Rose

• mickeymouse14
    8 years ago

Here's a few pics of my 7 month cutting and seedlings in pots on ground.

• JaiMe D'Angelo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! I started growing my red fleshed dragon fruit about a week and a half ago in a ziplock! They finally sprouted a few days ago and I moved them to soil in an old egg carton.... They're looking great! But I'm not sure if they need direct sunlight every day yet... Or at all... And I can't find any info on it! Does anyone know? And when should I move them to an actual pot?

• ladygrey2354
    6 years ago

Hi everyone. New here. Just started my Dragon Fruit Empire. LOL I hope we all can get our babies to bare fruit. Good luck to all.