Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marmaduke_p

White-belt! Please help ID and advice on withering

marmaduke.p
10 years ago

I'm new here and I already owe a lot to this site, so thanks in advance to everyone who reads this post!! I've read what I can, but I can't seem to find advice on my specific problem :( Since I don't know the species, and I don't know what's wrong with it, I've kind of been groping around in the dark, so please PLEASE help! Don't wanna lose this little guy!

I was given a small, potted succulent about 4 months ago. Since it was a gift, I don't know its name, I figured it was some type of huernia or stapelia, just by looking at pictures. I hope my pictures are sufficient to ID by!

Events so far:

-There were two root bundles in the pot originally. There is only one now. The other plant had similar levels of growth but had begun to sag. I didn't know what this meant, so I just continued with my usual care (water every 2-3 weeks, left to dry outside on my windowsill, never gets DIRECT sunlight, but gets a lot of light, brought in at night if it's cold or rainy). After further inspection I noticed that the spine had become dark green, loose, translucent. Research, conclusion: rot. I separated the bundles, repotted this guy, tried to save the other one from the rot but failed in trying to propagate from the bits I was able to salvage.

-Repotted in same terracotta pot, drainage hole in the base. Used original potting mix, but it got mixed around a bit. I have UNUSED store-bought succulent mix in my shed...

-Began to put pot out in the sunshine daily, only a few hours as it is fall here. Brought in later in the evening. No chance of frost.

-Been careful with watering because I didn't want to risk more rot, but realized that I am sometimes guilty of spritzing/misting, not soaking.

-Noticed a droop in the spine, perhaps there is some etiolation, as well? Again, beginner, not sure how to help! Began to spritz more, like twice weekly. Bad idea, I think!

-More drooping :( Realized that there are some dry, desiccated patches in the middle of the fingers, some tips of new growth are drying out, the overall texture of the plant is more rubbery. These dry patches are in the picture. They don't look like the rot that decimated the other plant..... Worried I'm going to have to try and propagate from cuttings again, because I failed terribly before.

-I've stopped putting him outside in direct sunshine, favoring a more shady area. Last time I misted was 3 days ago. Read that one shouldn't water a sick succulent.

-Considering repotting and changing the soil if I can make up one of the recipes I've found here, but I don't want to traumatize the poor guy! Finding it really hard to not water because I feel like I should be doing something to fix this! Don't worry, once I realized something was wrong, I stopped interfering!

Please, if you can ID the plant, or the problem, let me know if there is something I can do to help. I feel quite helpless and I'm really attached to the little fellow. People told me not to name him, because I'd become too attached, but I couldn't help it, so I will be distraught if Marmaduke dies :(

Forgive me if I have overlooked previous posts on these issues, I didn't know what to search for. O internet purveyors, in your infinite wisdom please help me and Marmaduke.

JUST TO RECAP:
Dry patches, drooping, what can I do??

Comments (8)

• marmaduke.p
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Small section of brown desiccation.
    I had to hold up this top-heavy portion of the plant to notice it.

• marmaduke.p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hopefully this shows the drooping, potential etiolation, dry patches on tips.

• greenlarry
    10 years ago

Looks to me that its had too much water. The soil looks peaty and wet. Succulents generally need very little water, and only water in hot weather. This group of plants (Stapeliads) growin hot dry conditions.
    I would take it out of the pot, remove any rotted roots and stems and allow to dry on newspaper for a day or two.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

The soil needs a good change. I had a Stapelia scitula in similarly bad soil, and it ended up looking the same. with a simple soil change, it perked back up. the soil i use is 50% bark and 50% perlite.
    This group of plants (Stapeliads) actually grow in slightly tropical environments, so they need lots of water, but very well draining soil.

• marmaduke.p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the prompt replies, I'm glad to know that I was overreacting!

Greenlarry, will it be okay to dry for two days outside of the soil? It's pretty small...

Microthrix, you say stapeliads require lots of water, am I right in assuming that that should only be in the growing season? It's winter in Australia right now, so I figure Marmaduke is pretty dormant.

But if he survives to summer, should I water more frequently than once ever 2-3 weeks?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

My stapeliads don't take a lot of water. Absolutely almost none during the winter, about once a month, BUT My stapelieds live in a colder place than Australia during the winter. They are in a an unheated structure that stays above freezing. I find over watering is the bugger. The y will root from the tops very easily. I have had rot at the roots during spring because I started watering too soon and I allowed them to get a tad to cold in the winter. They reroot themselves once the temps have warmed up considerably. This winter I threw towels over them when it got to 40F ( 5C). That period of demise seems to have been less. The most sensitive of my stapeliads was Huernia zebrina, But it will reroot with ease.. During HOT Texas summer , I water once a week. That said, I need to go out and water . I missed my sunday watering because I was working.

Below is Marten Heigand's habitat photos. It does look like semi arid zones with summer rainfall. Some look like texas brush country, but I know it is different. This is a great site to wander around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marten Heigand's Habbitat photos

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

This is a great stapeliad flicker set from Marten Heigand. Man am I wasting my morning. I need to get back to work. We have a real morning waster here. A cup of coffee and this site equals a time warp.

If you scroll over "ABOUT STAPELIADS" (UNder STAPELIADS), you can select habitat photos or select your genus.. One will see both dry period land shots and when the land GREENS UP with summer rain.

Another absolutely GREAT site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapeliad Flicker Set.

• marmaduke.p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wantonamara,

Thanks so much. Really helpful info, I'll keep an eye on Marmaduke, I've taken him out of the pot to dry out for a day like Greenlarry said, then I'll make a better potting mix like microthrix advised and then I'll try and keep the watering to a more natural schedule.

Thanks heaps for the sites! Great pictures, boy am I glad you had that cup of coffee, you've reassured me a great deal.

Thanks all you guys!!!