Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearts and Flowers

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 10:32

This is an Echeveria shaviana hybrid that has wonderful color during the summer with full sun. During the winter months more of the blue-green coloration develops. I was pleasantly surprised to see the flower spike split and form a "heart" shape.

Echeveria ‘Truffles’

Echeveria ‘Truffles’

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearts and Flowers

Hey, that's amazing! Does that happen often for aloes, or is it like a "mutation"?

o

This is an Echeveria not an Aloe. This kind of thing is random. Most of my Echeveria have but one spike and sometimes will have small side spikes.

o

Very cool ... i had an Echeveria 'Caribbean' that did that from one of its 7 flower stalks (still blooming from early may ... the flowers are TALL) . Although not quite as perfect as yours! Lol

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 15:16

Howard

That is really cool! You must be singing, talking with your plants - they are rewarding you with beautiful flowers, colors, one-of-a-kind shapes...Generous of you to share with us. I always look forward seeing your photos...Rina

o

Rina, your comments are heartfelt. Thank you so much

o

A very elegant presentation it has given you. Too bad it isn't around Valentine's Day. :)

o

Whoops. I should clear up my sentence's context.
I was meaning to ask if this same phenomenon occurs in aloes.

o

I love the flower heart!

o

BEAUTIFUL plant & LOVE the heart shape formed by the flowers, Howard!! Great shots of them, too!

While yours is a gorgeous E. shaviana hybrid, I don't believe it is 'Truffles', which should look like the one below (with thicker, more crinkled edges).
(click for larger view)

o

Yeah, i dont think it is truffles either. I got one from lowes that looked like yours under the nick name "neon breakers"

o

Yes, Zeck! That seems more like it! 'Neon Breakers' is the cultivar name.

o

Thanks Rosemarie. Your plant is beautiful and would love to have one grown so tightly. I probably got mine from a Big Box store and, as you know, plants are mislabeled all the time from large commercial growers. I have another one that looks similar called Echeveria 'Pinky'. Many pictures I see on the web look like mine and there art some that have a more dense rosette with tighter crinkles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here