Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover80

jade plant; crassula ovata. what to do next?

plantlover80
10 years ago

Hello there, my jade is getting very big. I have had this plant for two years now. I added a new plant to fill a gap. There were not any roots in that area and then after a month or so it ended up kicking out a different plant(The one I added is still alive and kicking). That I believe is telling me it is crowded. As you can see in the pic, they are falling to the side now. Is this because of the height or because it needs to be re potted. Hoping for some really good advice on how to save and grow my baby to its greatest potential. Thanks :-)

This post was edited by plantlover80 on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:15

Comments (7)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

If it were mine, as I like the single plant per pot, I would separate some or all of them. It would allow the plants to grow more full. I would also use a fast draining potting mix, pot is unglazed clay pots, and put in a sunny area. Is that pot a cachepot, or are the plants directly planted into it? All pots need a drain hole.

Christopher

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 12:25

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
    This specific set I want to try to keep together unless it starts to take a turn for the worse. It was a present from the fiance'. I have about 4 more single jade plants like these That I plan on growing out to their full potential along with a Gollum, Verigated and hummel sunset jade. My late aunt had a group like the one's in this picture and I'm trying to copycat.
    They're directly planted and there are drain holes. Would the unglazed pot help to dry out the soil?

• sradleye
    10 years ago

an unglazed pot should help some. this one also looks pretty deep from what I understand about these plants.

selfishly I think you should separate it and trade me a stem of it ;) sradleye@gmail.com I have two year old Gollum or many other things. I am falling in love with these jade plants.

good luck

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

An unglazed terra cotta pot would dry out much quicker, indeed. That is what I use for most of my succulents. You mention "full potential' and I would submit that to reach that, separation is part of it. My view, anyway.

Christopher

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Christopher I would agree with you, You don't give a zone or where you live, are they getting enugh sun, They should be in full sun, and watered thoroughly at least once a month, Cut back all the tips of growth cut off the first of October leave out side for air circulation and fertilize and water again. I've had mine in the same pot for 20 years, they love to be crowded. They should all flower for Christmas, they can take down to at least 20F, In Northern England they can be flooded; freezel die back to soil line and come backing smiling. In Africa they grow on rocky hillsides and live on fog that rolls off the rocks down o their roots
    They are east coast growers in Africa. They get no care and only the fertilizer the anamals leave. They are pruned by these animals who care for them. Norma Lewis C

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where I live right now, Wisconsin and have for 2 years in this town house, the sun rolls right over the top of the roof. Indirect sunlight 7ft away from the window. I will be moving in about 3 weeks to a straight north/south house. So I should take it outside then?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

If you put outside, you will have to gradually acclimate it to full sun, starting with a shady position. Plunging it directly into full sun, as I have foolishly done in the past, will result in brown spots, sunburn, on the leaves, which will not go away.

Christopher