Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Happy Canada Day; However, I think my Aloe FAQ was pooched

Take a look at the FAQ about Aloes, with I shamelessly extol to all newbies as the perfect start for your ride with these great plants - it seems to have been modified to include erroneous, misleading and otherwise DEAD WRONG information. I'm sure I didn't write this load of hogwash in the current edition:

'.....so even a home-made concoction of 1/3 sand, 1/3 soil, and 1/3 pumice/gravel is better than straight potting soil.'

There are other instances in the current FAQ which don't ring true for my Gangnam Style of writing, but I am capable of disremembering.

If it was changed (which, of course, is within IVillage's rights), it was discourteous to say the least to not at least ask me if the edited version was correct, but that's just ego talking. What gets me in high dudgeon is that soil recipe. It's almost as bad as that other one that people proselytize about.......I'll shut up.

Is there any way of getting a screen capture of what it was several years ago? I might be all wet about this, but I'm sure that the current balderdash isn't my balderdash.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments (8)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Happy Canada Day!

hm...that's strange that it just got modified without your consent.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David,

It was written, as they all are, with the knowledge that it's the property of this site. I've got no problem with that, but for the information to be changed to that of great ignorance, it's too much for a body to bear.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Well at least it doesn't have your name attached to it!

-Ming

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Had to take a look. I don't think I've ever heard you use the word "concoction"! Did you contact gwTamara? Perhaps she had something to do with it; her link is at the bottom of the page.

My feathers would be a bit ruffled too!

Nancy

• gwtamara
    9 years ago

Hi Jeff,

The FAQ was recently edited. However, the content was not changed, but was cleaned up for clarity and flow and pictures were added to freshen the page. I'm sorry that you feel slighted, but keep in mind that there was no editor's name on the FAQ. Unfortunately, after all this time, I would have no way of knowing that you created it. And, according to Pirate_Girl, who contacted me directly, the FAQ was a joint effort created by many senior members of the forum. That being said, if you would like to make changes to it, that's not a problem. If you don't have access to the FAQ, let me know and I'll make sure that happens.

Below is a screenshot of the oldest version of the page available -- from 2002. I've highlighted the sentence in question. As you can see, it's been there all along.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Tamara

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Tamara,
    It was false pride displayed and false slight was felt - it just gives some bad information in it (the use of sand), which strikes me as strange as having that information 10 years back, when we Aloe aficionados knew even then of its deleterious effects as a recommended ingredient for a generic Aloe soil mix, one that had to be simple to acquire the parts for and make.

Whether you know that I wrote most of it, or don't, is of little matter. I'm happy to update it, but it's got some information wrong that would likely be deleterious to Aloe growing.

I approve the adds of the bells and whistles (you got to put the butts in the seats), but the sand suggestion leads me to believe that we Aloe were folk not involved. I could, of course, not be remembering correctly and have written the blasphemous words myself.

I of course, as contributor to the first Aloe FAQ, feel a nurturing sense to correct and polish our current version so that it's unequivocal, as written and used, that even an Aloe at the precipice of death can likely be brought back, provided you use a sandless recipe that the community is happy to provide IVillage again, in an effort to make the Aloe FAQ is usable to one and all, particularly those with Aloe vera (the real one, but mainly the non-real ones).

• gwtamara
    9 years ago

HI Jeff,

It looks like the editor of the FAQ, at that time, was alicia_247, who doesn't appear to have been active on the site in over 10 years. I will make you the editor, so that you will have access to the cacti FAQs and you can make changes or add new information. You are most definitely the expert here; I'm just the hired help cleaning out the cobwebs and adding the spit and polish. ;)

I'll send you information via email once you've been added as editor.

Best,

Tamara

Original Author
    9 years ago

Tamara,

Thanks - I'll help as I can and contact my learned sistren and brethren.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH