Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange growths on pincushion cactus

Posted by giwaffe none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 11:12

I have had my cactus for a long time, and its always had these strange bumps on it. I just ignored it, but as you can see, some have been getting very prominent lately. Im just curious as to what they are. Flowers? Seeds?

Also, i would like to know if the pot im using is too small, and if im watering it the right amount (1 tablespoon every week or so)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange growths on pincushion cactus

Those are cactus pups. This cactus will form a cluster with age.

o

You should water it when the soil is bone dry, but give it a really good soaking, i fill up a bucket and sink the whole pot under the water so the center of the root ball gets water. The way you are watering it the cactus must be very thirsty, i bet if you watered it my way you would notice a huge difference in a very short time!!

o

Hi giwaffe,

So far, the pot looks to be the right size. If you want to pot up, only go about an inch bigger.
Your watering is another story. Your plant should be in a pot with a drainage hole, and your mix (at minimum) should be 50% cactus mix and 50% perlite. You want a mixture that is fast draining. Never water a cactus or succulent immediately after repotting/potting up....always wait about a week. Then, water thoroughly. This means water until you see it draining out the hole. Let the plant dry out then repeat. Terra cotta pots work best for this because they are porous and will allow the soil to dry out quicker. If you don't like the look of terra cotta, pot the plant up in one and then put that pot into a nicer container to catch the water. Just remember to empty the nicer pot.

Nancy

o

Was it recently fertilized. This is quiet normal for it to grow into a clump. It may not flower while it is producing offsets. your offset are large enough to be removed carefully. This will tell the plant to put it efforts into make a flower and seeds. Set the offset on top of pot of fast draing mix. don't water until you can tell that there are roots, in a month give a gentle tug holding the top of the new offset. Water thoroughly once a month, you may set the pot into a plate of water to water from the bottom. There is a reason for this can't type it now. HAnd is tired, I quit now. Norms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here