Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these aquarium gravel okay for potting mix?

Posted by DavidL.ca none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:15

I finally got my hand on some turface through eBay ($15 shipping for a pound...), so I'm making some new soil. I still couldn't find anything for the gravel part other than aquarium gravel. I found a few unpolished, edgy ones. Do you think these would work? And which one is better?

Gravel #1

Gravel #2

The second one is slightly smaller compared to 1, and have less dust. But I would wash them before use anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these aquarium gravel okay for potting mix?

I think the second pack would be better, Some stones in the first one look rather large.

o

David,

I'd use the second one over the first, too, but some of the first might be OK.

I know the GTA is a large place, but if you call first to confirm, these two places allegedly have Turface.

PLANT PRODUCTS CO. LTD.

Brampton
(905) 793-7000
www.plantprod.com
MAR-CO CLAY PRODUCTS INC.

Bright
(519) 684-7591

o

Thanks guys! @cactusmcharris I will check those place out, one of the problems is that they probably only sell them in bulk, and I live in apartment so have no space for huge bags like that :(

I repotted 4 plants today and already almost finished all my turface!

Here's my final potting mix. I think it's the best I've done so far... getting there!

I tried to sift out as much bark and twigs as possible. Also get rid of those fines in the perlite.

Repotted plants~ I even redid the moon cactus, this thing better live another year or so!

o

Kudos, David they look exuberantly happy and healthy.

o

David,

Turface comes in roughly 40-50lb bags. Get one or two and you'll have enough for a while. The bags themselves are about as large as a carry-on suitcase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here