Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need your help iding these cactus :)

Posted by LilBit7765 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:23

Hey guys was just at bordines, in fact I'm in the parking lot lol. I need your help with id's on these to. And as always........thanks SOOOOOO much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need your help iding these cactus :)

Here's the next one. If there's any special care out of the norm for either one your advice is as ALWAYS greatly appreciated. (And as ALWAYS they will be repotted in gritty mix with drainage holes! Lol) thanks again! :)

o

The first one is a silver ball cactus or red headed Irishman the second one i forgot the name maybe a aloe

o

Maybe this one a silver ball cactus

o

Hey i recommend your cactus mix from the hardware store look at how healthy my plants are

o

I went to the gritty mix so they aren't waterlogged and so I don't have to worry about rot thanks for your help with the id's :)

o

Almost forgot a WHOLE BUNCH of these were EVERYWHERE on the table and they said I could grab one to see if it would take and ideas what this is? Thanks again! :)

o

Those are thimble cactus a type of mimmaileria just plant them in some soil

o

Thanks

o

Hey Christy I got your message, I'm guessing you're talking about the 2nd plant on this thread? I switch my plants around all the time so they can get equal amount of sun/light, so I'm not sure what you mean by closest to my window :P. If that's the one you're asking, it is a Faucaria, most likely a Faucaria tigrina. It is a succulent not a cactus, and it is in the mesembs family, so not the easiest succulent family to grow. But, it is considered one of the easier mesembs. Just give it lots of light, and make sure the soil is not peat-based, preferably have a good amount of pumice/Turface and grit for good drainage and you should be good to go. The plant looks quite healthy at the moment, I usually only water them when the leaves are a bit wrinkly, so that's usually once every 10-14 days.

Best of luck!

o

Thanks! I'm going to be repotting in Gritty mix (Al's recipe) turface, bark, and chicken grit. It works REALLY well for drainage. I just bought some dowels (did I spell that right lol) to stick in the pots to see how damp they are. But I've been using my finger and going as far down as I can and it seems like after 4 days it's dry (or almost completely dry not really cool to the touch) will I be able to water it ok then if I do it every days or should I still wait? You're help is greatly appreciated and yes it was the second plant I was talking about in this thread lol

o

Watering Every 4 to 5 days sorry I messed up

o

Sounds good! You're lucky that you can obtain all the ingredients for the gritty mix.. Here I have no such luck.

Hm definitely don't need to follow the big-box instruction of "water when soil is dry", succulents are draught-tolerant so usually I follow the "when in doubt, don't" idea more.. And especially after you repot your plants, wait at least one week, maybe two before you think about watering them. Some roots will be broken off and very prone to rot during repotting, so it needs time to callous over.

o

BUT, if you're using gritty mix and you grow your plants outdoor with low humidity, then you can water your plants more often. After the repot-healing period that is.

o

I like that second one!!!

o

Make sure you keep them at the brightest place possible otherwise they really tend to be etiolated. I got these from a nursery and it was already looking like this. Since then it hasn't stretched much more, so hopefully they're happy here. If I'm lucky I might see some flowers in a month or 2!

o

Thanks everyone and I hope yours are happy too David! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here