Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root mealies...ugh

Posted by breton2 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 11:34

Hello,
Recently I found a new local nursery which had a decent selection of cold-hardy succulents. I bought over a dozen Semps, Rosularias, Orostachys, Sedum, plus an Opuntia, and an Echinocereus. I have since discovered that many of them have root mealies.... Most of these plants will be going in the ground (PIGged as Rosemarie would say), so I am hoping that natural predators will take control the populations on those plants (I will also be removing as much soil as possible prior to planting). However, some of these plants I had planned to plant in a new trough garden I am assembling, where natural predators will not have much effect. I try not to use insecticides or pesticides in my garden. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these beasts? I've dealt with regular mealies often ( rubbing alcohol), but have little experience with root mealies. Also, does anyone know how cold-hardy they are, ie. will a winter outside in a shallow trough kill them?

P.S. Returning them is not an option!

Cheers,
Breton

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root mealies...ugh

Submerge the pots completely into a container filled with lightly-soapy water, let the soil soak thoroughly(15-20 minutes?). The mealies will suffocate, and the plants will be fine - just give them warmth and sun.

The mobile babies may escape, so keep an eye out.

x

o

Oh, that is great to know Xerophyte, thanks for the advice! I was afraid I'd be told I'd have to use pesticides. The soaking shall commence today....
Cheers,
Breton

o

Does the soaking also kill the eggs?

o

Does the soaking also kill the eggs?

Don't know for sure. All I know is that this method has worked for me. I suppose if the infestation is severe more treatments may be needed a few weeks later. The good thing is that the soaking is safe to do and easy as long as it doesn't involve too many pots.

The reason sucking "bugs" like succulents is because the plant juices have a high concentration of nutrients especially plants that are water-deprived. Plants outdoors should be able to fend off mealies naturally.

x

o

x,

Plants outdoors should be able to fend off mealies naturally.

I'm going to test that myself - two new Semps are going in the ground with root mealies, or would you suggest Dr. X's Root Mealy Treatment first?

o

Plants outdoors are more likely to be adequately hydrated and healthier, which makes them pest-free! (At least in my neck of the woods)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here