Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

How cactus buds find their way

I have watched a passel of astrophytum blooms this eary summer. My big A. ornatum blooms and blooms again. It has been joined by my two A. capricorne. These are first time bloomers for me. What i am struck by, is the question of how the bud finds its way through the morass of needles. It is such a bramble of a birds nest. I did feel the needles finally right up by the bloom and they are not hard as the ones further out.They are infinitely more flexible. The Echinocactus horizonthalonius has the same problem. They do it by moving the needles aside with a large mass of fuzz. It has puzzled me because this bid cage needs an emphasis on the CAGE. this cactus dropped of 11 ' from a porch last year with a table landing on top of it in a watering accident and it was unharmed.

{{gwi:583842}}

Here the bud of the A capricorn has successfully reconnoitered the maze of needles leaving me amazed.

{{gwi:583843}}

{{gwi:583844}}

{{gwi:583845}}

Here is another A. capricorne that has successfully pushed the needles aside. Notice that the dark needles are still a bit flat and fatten up with maturity. These needles on this one stays a bit more flexible than the the first one.

{{gwi:583846}}

{{gwi:583847}}

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 1:43

Comments (19)

• kaykay-08
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• greybird_keke
    10 years ago

Interesting, and beautiful blooms! Thanks for sharing.

• qsis
    10 years ago

Whoa! What the heck kind of camera do you have, Mara????

Lovely!

Lee

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

wow, these astrophytums are just amazing!!! How old would you estimate them to be? I am currently getting into astros and will be grafting many of them. Do you have any more astros you can share your pics??

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Structurally amazingly beautiful. Thanks.

tj

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

I have a Nikon D80 with an upgraded lense. I never go for the kit lens. Good glass makes all the difference. I also work the images in a photo program to burn in blown Highlights, darken light images, lighten shadows and balance colors. I admit to going out without makeup on, and my fingernails are always dirty, but I am very vain about my photos. I enjoy the process as much as gardening.

Wiley, I do not know the age of the plants since I do not grow from seed because I am a ruthless mother . I Definitely come to nurturing with a few handicaps. I got the big A. ornatum in 2010 maybe or 2009 and it was in a 1 gal. pot or a 6" pot. It had some size to it. I got the green one bare root spring 2012 and the whiter speckled capricorne came to me 2 weeks age.My guess is that the green one was probably 2 - 3 years when I got it a year ago so maybe it is 4 now.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 1:47

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Wow, what a great time of year to be a cactus lover! It is interesting how they find their way through that nest of prickles; not surprising if you consider the lengths WE go to for the chance to, ah... you know... do what flowers do.

• deep___roots
    10 years ago

Nice photos. And flower explanation.
    I like how you used the word "passel" too.
    Cheers.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Passel is a word used more in the old south. I like it, but then again, I like a lot of words. I had to restrain myself from using a "cyclonic swirl" of needles.

Ryan, your mind is, a umm, IN THE DIRT.... with the best if us.

• bob61
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants and great pics.

• stephanie_kay
    10 years ago

Your cacti are Beautiful!

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics of beautiful plants with beautiful flowers.

• notolover
    10 years ago

Great pics and a very interesting question to ponder. The buds have to be so "tough" and creative to fight their way out, but then they produce such beauty afterwards.

Thanks for sharing the name of the camera you use. Guess I will have to start saving my pennies because I really like taking pictures of my hybrid flowers, especially since most of them only bloom once a year. I have a better camera than I used to, but it's not in the league of your Nikon. :-)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The lens I have is NOT very good at macros. I think I need another lens for that. The camera has been discontinued so it will be cheaper used now. I am of the generation who used generation old cameras. It still feels od to buy cameras every 4th year to keep abreast of the quality edge. I am way behind right now, So I need to start saving my bucks also.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

FANTASTIC plants shown by your series of TERRIFIC pix, Mara!

I, too, have been amazed how the buds made their way out of jail!

• greenlarry
    10 years ago

ULovely plants! Just like weeds sprouting under tarmac nature always finds a way.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Wondering how the buds on mine are going to find their way out! Just found 4-5 buds on my capricorne. He's never bloomed before, and i can't wait till he does!

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Thats cool micro, keep us updated on that.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please keep us apprised with multiple pictures. You have much more of a cyclonic swirl of a bramble. It is a thick thicket for sure and it looks a d@mn impossible jail break to me, but I think I have faith.

Nice cactus.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living