Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade plant: pruning and fertilizer

Posted by jaden NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 11:45

I wanted to know the best time to prune and fertilize my Jade plant? How much cutting back can they handle? Is fertilization beneficial and if so, what is the best type to get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade plant: pruning and fertilizer

Let's start at the beginning, when to prune and feed. You can prune any time you want, no difference really. Feed only when the plant is growing during the spring/summer, very little water and no food during winter. As fert I just use 1/4 strength houseplant fert every couple of months. I've seen cacti/succulent food at the store (1-1-1), but i've never bothered with it. Cacti and succulents don't seem to like a lot of food. As for how much cutting the plant can take, there isn't really a limit so long as you leave enough plant to survive.

o

I have heard to leave atleast 1/3 of the original foliage.

o

I have seen them cut back from a 2 ft plant to withing 2 inches of the soil. They will come back. I have one that is in a shallow clay pot. It was only about six inches tall with one main stalk that branchd into three at the top third. I cut all of the foliage off and cut each branch to where only the old tan bark was visible. That was two weeks ago and the plant that had no leaves now has at least 8 new leaves on each branch. Do a search on "whacking" jade or pruning. You will see the pictures of the ones Denise in Omaha cut back all the way to a stump. I believe she has before and after pics. It is amzing. It really helps fatten the trunk as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here