Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

Can I pot them up yet? (Cuttings)

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Are they big enough to pot by themselves yet or should I leave them be?

Comments (13)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the pots I just bought..... They're the smallest I can find. And is it ok to put into the gritty mix and use fertilizer already?

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shouldn't of taking the last pic in the dark dungeon of a kitchen lol here's a better one of the pot thanks! (And yes it does have drainage holes lol

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shouldn't of taking the last pic in the dark dungeon of a kitchen lol here's a better one of the pot thanks! (And yes it does have drainage holes lol

{{!gwi}}

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I think a few of them are ready for prime time, but not all. I've heard that if you give it a gentle pull and it has a bit of resistance then it's ready for its own pot.

The pot is cute! Very neat :D

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• hijole
    9 years ago

Lilbit, it looks potted already.. Jk I know what you mean. I actually had some that were about the same size that were sitting on top of perlite so I took them outside to acclimate and they fried.
    To much sun to quick + it's been way... To Hot!

So it's back to the drawing board for me. Next time I'll try the tugging method then proceed.

I'll keep my eyes on the suggestions, thanks for the post.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're welcome and thanks for sharing your experience

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Those little babies look very etiolated - are the in darker location?
    I would try to grow them more compact and bigger before separating & potting up.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They get bright light all day usually but we've been pretty overcast all week with some severe thunderstorms. How should they look? These are the first leaf cuttings I've EVER done besides on jades (which I fAiled miserably I can't get a leaf to take from a jade if my life depended on it!) most of them are (what I've heard people call jellybeans) one I'd have to look up the plant name I have on written down when I bought it......but we all know how well they can be mislabeled I think the one on the far right is the only one that's an inch tall (maybe not quite)

• a_shau
    9 years ago

congratulations on having such a successful crop on your first try - isn't propagating succulents so fun and rewarding?? they look great - I concur with rina and would try to let them grow a little stronger before trying to move them. Wouldn't want to risk breaking or weakening them as their stalks (?) still look a little thin. I am sure that as your plants start to grow stronger roots, the new leaf growth from the middle will start to be larger and stronger.

Also, when there is new growth they are definitely getting roots, just that they are still young and not that strong, so they need a little more TLC than an adult succulent (so no hot sun and adult-frequency waterings).

here are a couple of succulings I have from leaf propagation too, they are a little larger but I have them all in one pot just to keep it easier on myself (my room looks like a jungle - poor hubby!)

{{gwi:583937}}

It's tempting to get them into your cute pots sooner rather than later, but the other risk of moving them too soon is that when you water them, the soil stays wetter for a little longer, and each plant won't have enough roots to take in the water quickly enough. Plus it's easy to care for them now as all you have to do is water one pot.

Here's another propagation that has jelly beans too. Also, with the graptosedum, I thought the stem looked weak so I propped it up with a rock (probably unnecessary)

{{gwi:583938}}

good luck - I am sure your succulings will turn into fine beauties!

This post was edited by a.shau on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 1:14

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. a.shau! How long have your jelly beans been growing? Yours are MUCH bigger than mine! How long is the wait period usually before they are big enough? Thanks again for everyone's help! :)

• a_shau
    9 years ago

Hi- well I first noticed them back in October. Honestly I don't even know how they got there because I didn't have any jellybean plants at the time. I'm thinking that they just came with the crassula plant.

This is how they looked back then:
    {{gwi:583939}}

This is actually how they look today:
    {{gwi:583940}}

(The first photo I had applied was actually from April.)

To answer your question, I would probably wait a couple of months, when they start to resemble the final versions of what they'll be (just smaller versions). Keep them in a sunny spot and while they're little, don't be shy about giving them healthy little sips whenever the soil dries out. I know this sounds counterintuitive to what everyone says about succulents, but while their roots are still small and developing, you don't want the roots to fry. (A full drench/watering would probably be overkill though) You will be amazed at how quickly they grow if you water them.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks! :)