Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waltermatteson

Help with Jade Plant Please

waltermatteson
9 years ago

Hello,

I have had this Jade plant for awhile and although it is not in really bad shape I can tell it is not flourishing. For some time it would take a really long time for the water to drain so I re-potted it. I am wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what I can do to make sure that this plant is and can remain healthy?

It used to be much fuller with larger leaves and although it is hard to tell in the photos I posted I am worried it is not well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Looks to me like either your old poorly draining mix cause some root rot and now it isn't up taking water or your new mix doesn't retain enough moisture and its just thirsty. What did the roots look like when you re-potted? How large is that new pot?

Also, it could definitely use more sunlight as those leaf nodes are very spaced out. If you have that option, introduce slowly to avoid sunburn!

Identify the health of your roots then proceed from there. Watering more now could cause your roots to get even worse depending on their current condition.

Good luck!

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

If that were my plant, I'd identify the health of the roots then whack that thing down to a stump and pop it in some full sunlight!

• waltermatteson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response. Here is what the roots look like.

Thoughts?

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Not much of a root system there for a plant that size...Needs a better draining potting mix, smaller pot, a good whacking, and sufficient lighting.

Christopher

• waltermatteson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much. Can you clarify what you mean by whacking? Or give me a few pointers on how to do that?

Again, really appreciate the help here.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Actually, if you just read similar threads, or search this forum for Jade Whacking, you'll find plenty to read, way too much to encapsulate here.

I too thought those roots quite small for that size plant. Can I suggest you carefully comb through (maybe w/ a fork) or w/ just your fingers, get off as much of that old mix as possible, it looks a bit sandy from here (not good).

I too also live in Brooklyn, but have found it too tough to grow Jades here (the humidity).

Do you see the wrinkly in the leaves? That tells us it's not drinking properly & I'd guess it's because its been losing its roots & having issues w/ that mix, maybe not draining properly, sorry.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

That is a terrible root system for a jade that size, and is definitely not capable of taking up enough water to support it, thus the wrinkly leaves. Wash off all of the old soil, and plant it in a gritty type mix, which you can learn about by searching these forums. Also, it was over potted, so put it in something smaller, and you'll also need to support it, as the lack of roots won't hold the plant up, unless of course you give it a good whackin'.

Joe

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

DISCLAIMER - I am not an expert. This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

About a year ago I had a much larger jade that got root rot and I struggled with it for months trying to save it. In the end I was able to salvage a few small cuttings to root and pot. Looking back I think I could have saved a larger portion of the plant if I was more aggressive and really cut it back. So - my advise, be aggressive with the cutting! Just make sure you leave some healthy leaves. And I personally would trim off the wrinkly ones and let the plant focus on growing new roots and new growth instead of continuing to send energy to those leaves that may not be salvageable.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Where are the rest of the roots? to get back the lost roots that took a short time to loose takes a longer time to get back. Might want to use a branch or some sort of cutting and root it as a back up.