Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemgardner

Succulent Root Rot? w/ Pics

ChemGardner
12 years ago

Hello All,

I have just recently moved into a house after living in a townhouse with very low light for many years. As a result, my mild interest in gardening and landscaping has now grown quickly into a very enjoyable hobby/obsession :)

The main objects of my obsession are succulents and I am determined to grow them, despite living in SW Florida, where the summer rains and heat are certain to be obstacles.

I had these four succulents in a single rectangular pot and saw a couple of the very bottom leaves rotting from touching the soil, so I dug out the plants to inspect closely and here is what I saw:

First, a pre-potting picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/fsuplayer/IMG_1032.jpg

After planting and being dug out three weeks later:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/fsuplayer/IMG_0563.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/fsuplayer/IMG_0567.jpg

(Sorry for the direct links, I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures directly in the thread).

They were planted in basic soil and perlite mixture. It was likely about 40% Perlite, but in the future I think I will lean closer to like 75% Perlite. I think I made the mistake of planting them a bit too low in the soil, so I will adjust moving forward.

As you can see, I have brushed away most of the loose soil and have them drying out indoors right now. The one long stem on the Echeveria is slightly soft to the touch on the bottom half of the stem, the others not as much.

The leaves still look great and healthy with no negative signs above ground.

So my questions are:

Is this indeed root rot?

Should I cut the roots and allow them to callus or regrow roots indoors, while bareroot?

When replanting, would it be better or worse to keep them in smaller pots?

Lastly, I will likely move them to my new Rock Garden Berm, which gets a good bit of sun, especially early morning-noon, and is a 50/50 Perlite/Soil mixture with a pea gravel top dressing (although I will likely amend it to give it a higher % of Perlite), would it be better to bury the pots in the ground or plant them directly into the garden?

Sorry for the long first post, but I figure the more information I give the better answers I will receive.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Comments (8)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Here you go:

First, a pre-potting picture:

{{gwi:584246}}

After planting and being dug out three weeks later:

{{gwi:584248}}

{{gwi:584250}}

>>>>>From the looks of it, it looks like their feet were sitting in a heavy peat based mix. If you try using a grittier mix with peat just being a fraction, you might be able to salvage them and if not, at least avoid this situation again. The next time you pull a plant from its pot, if the soil just falls away, you know it is a good mix.

Good luck

Mike

• ChemGardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response. I have two follow up questions for you. First, how did you post the images? :)

And second, would you cut the stems with a clean knife and then wait a couple weeks for them to grow roots, then replant? Or would you just let them dry out and try to replant them as is?

I guess I am trying to determine whether I have actual root rot that needs to be cut out, or if I caught it early enough and it just needs to dry out a bit before replanting in a much grittier mix.

• americangolden
    12 years ago

To post images you type in

remove the spaces between any of the to make the code work

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Get your pic parked at a photo-hosting site, and get the 'a href...' code and copy that - in another window you have your message at this site open and insert the code there - you should be able to hit 'preview' and your pic will be there.

And it looks like root rot, unlike what's below, which is leaf rot.

{{gwi:479671}}

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

IF it was me, I would cut them off to clean tissue with a very clean knife. You could run the knife over a fire and disinfect or use alcohol.

I would let the callouss over and then just rest them on top pf a gritty mix and wait until roots develop before ever watering again. Stick them on the top of the mix and walk away and forget about them for a few weeks.

Some may think they are savable and will be by before you do so if need be.

Good luck with them and please let us know how they fare.

Jeff, that plant almost looks petrified, like a piece of coral. It has a beauty/character about it, but that is just my observation.

MIke

• amanzed
    12 years ago

Just a sideline -- I see nothin' wrong with Jeff's leaf-propagated Kalanchoe orgyalis. The old leaf is gone, sure. Is that what you're calling "leaf rot"? But it grew a new plant or three which look fine. I have their twins (from their looks), propagated exactly the same way, growing 20 feet from me as I type this. Not trying to be contrary, just saying it looks fine. Could use some more roots, but I'm not sure if their just hidden from the camera's point of view. But it should root quickly in decent medium.

• ChemGardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided to go with Mike's advice and cut the roots for a fresh start. I suppose I could have just replanted and crossed my fingers, but with my personality I would be anxious about it the whole time.

I cut three of the four. The fourth looked pretty good after getting it all cleaned up and dry, and it also had three little pups (not sure if that is the term or not) which looked healthy so I will just replant that one soon.

Here is a picture of the roots after cutting:

{{gwi:584252}}

I have two more questions for you guys and gals:

Should I leave these fresh roots inside in the AC, or a shady, dry spot outside (humid, warm 90 degree temps)?

Second, I am going to replant the fourth succulent (the one that did not need root trimming) into my new rock garden and am thinking about just filling a 4 inch terra cotta pot with an 80% perlite mix and putting the pot directly into the ground, with the pot lip barely above the rock dressing. I am thinking that will keep it more 'protected' and maybe I can refrain from having to dig it up and amend the entirety of the soil of my garden since my sedums and other plants seem to like the mix they are in thus far. Good plan? Bad plan? Doesn't matter?

• sunshine_mom
    10 years ago

How are your echeveria doing after replanting them??

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH