Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy monkey

Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:08

The monkeytail is going crazy right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy monkey

Nice!! Good growing!

o

I love this plant, and will one day make room for one. Thanks for sharing your beaut and fueling the fire, ;)
-Ming

o

Beautiful.
Thanks for reminding me to hunt for one!
Karen

o

Fabulous! Do you know the botanical name?

o

Cleistocactus colademononis, yes?

-Ming

o

beautiful,never seen that one b4 either.Have a rat tail that looks similar,but i like the white hairy stuff on this one.
Kathi

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:46

I have it listed as Hildewintera colademononis, but Ming has it right with the new genus, Cleistocactus.

This post was edited by nil13 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:48

o

Ahhhh that's so awesome looking!!! I have been wanting some stuff I can put in hanging planters. Looks great!

o

Beautiful plant...never heard of it. Please if it develops seeds capture them. I know some of "US" would love babies!(or cuttings) but hate to mutilate beauty!

o

Absolutely gorgeous. I have a rats tail but I love the furry monkeys tail. Very difficult to find though
Averil uk

o

I'm glad I popped in here. I decided to have another rootle around ebay uk and I have found one up for auction. Wish me luck lol
Averil

o

Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:21

If you look in the background, you can see a rat tail as well.

o

Yep I can see your rats tail there. I got mine as a cutting on ebay and it's doing really well in the greenhouse. I've actually taken some offshoots and started a new one. I'm not a great lover of cacti or succulents but I do like the trailing type

o

Nil which soil medium do you grow your monkeys tail in?

o

Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:35

Pumice

o

Nil,

I'm going to visit the folks who discovered it tomorrow, as it happens. I'll let them know what a fabulous plant you have there.

o

Jeff, don't forget to get us all cuttings!

-Ming

o

Ming, you can have a cutting from my plant.

o

Can you confirm it is just pumice and not mixed with anything. Thanks

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 17:10

Just pumice.

o

For a plant that not long ago was very hard to come by in the US, it certainly did make a different impression this weekend when I was at the Inter-City Show & Sale at the LA Arboretum! No fewer than 5 vendors were selling them...there were so many, I'm sure there were lots left over after all was said and done! Would never have believed it only a couple years ago!

So glad it is becoming more available in the states!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here