Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
succulent ID please

Posted by saragallup none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 12:25

I recently inherited an overgrown & neglected succulent / cactus garden with my new house. I am a former apt dweller and am new to this whole gardening thing (but loving it so far), so any help and/or advice with identification, propagation, care, etc would be awesome :) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: succulent ID please

Kalnchoe baharensis. It can get some size.

o

Yep, kalanchoe beharensis 'napoleans hat' ... i have one about 3 feet tall, can take full 100 degree heat and thrives ... yours looks like it developed a nice trunk (if thats what that is ) hope you enjoy petting it!

o

so, the shadow from another bigger plant is the reason he grows somewhat horizontally? Like he is chasing the sun? Would he be happier if I moved him to a spot with maximum hours of full sun?

o

Probably, but only if you increase its additional exposure gradually.

o

Keep in mind this plant only keeps a few leaves at the top. It sheds the others as it grows. Don't think the plant is dying when the lower leaves dry. Also, like any Kalanchoe, they grow easily from a single good leaf so you can start new ones when the first one gets leggy.

o

Do you propagate from leaf same as with cuttings? i.e. cut leaf close to attachment point as possible, allow to callous, place in soil, and wait for roots to develop?

o

If given the environment it likes, it can attain some size. Check out the google images. They can get way above your head.

o

The plantlette will form on the leaf edge. keep it misted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here