Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stapelia ID

Posted by cwcervantes 9A / New Orleans (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 13:04

Hello!

Can anyone be able to ID this Stapelia from the photos below? It wasn't labeled when purchased. It is pretty stinky and growing better on the shadier side of the pot.

Thanks!

2014-06-28 09.56.52

2014-07-21 12.00.08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stapelia ID

Very very pretty bloom!! sorry.. can't help with ID.. but i'm sure someone will chime in soon :)

Chuy

o

I'd guess Stapelia schinzii. There are several variations though so I don't know if this is a variety of the species.

-Ming

o

Thanks, Ming! I think you're right.

o

Here's some links to check out yourself;
http://anti-matter-3d.com/Stapeliads/
http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/index.html
http://www.asclepiad-exhibition.org/Huernia_g-h.htm
Also any broken arms that fall off can be rooted and remember us here for sharing.
Stush

o

Sure! Anyone wanting a cutting just let me know at cwcervantes@gmail.com. Also I have tons of Pitaya cuttings if anyone wants. Trying to get rid of them.

o

cwcervantes,
Thank you. I'll emai you. Yours is very close to my red one. I don't own an orange one. Also that complete orange/brown color of the leaves. Wild.
Stush

o

WoW...I can smell that one from here! Amazing bloom, it almost looks 'alive'. My Stapelia, or should I say Orbea variegatas are just opening up and they also have that familiar odour...phew. Not good in the 30c temps the UK is sizzling in at the moment, but they sure do have some fantastically patterned blooms.

Is it just me or does anyone else out there 'just have to have a sniff' at them every now and again, knowing full well the repulsive smell they give off....why do I keep doing it??? I must be barking mad I reckon!

Gill UK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here