Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This one is getting too big, but what is it?

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:08

Bought a small succulent, perfect for the pot. Not so perfect now as it's getting too large. I'm considering putting it in the ground but since it had no tag, I'm not sure of the light requirements. Can anyone ID it for me so I can research a little? I have a close up of the leaf if it's needed. The leaves have a "seam" lengthwise, kind of like a green bean (but it's not a pod with seeds inside).

Thank you.

succulent july2014 photo succulent.jpg

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This one is getting too big, but what is it?

Senecio barbertonicus, I think.

-Ming

o

Looks like chalk sticks to me

o

I think S. barbertonicus has fatter leaves. Chalk Sticks (common name) can mean different plants to different people.

I believe your plant is Senecio 'Himalaya'. There have been several discussions over the past years that I can recall. It was confusing to us all. FYI, if you're interested, that "seam" you referred to (more like a window slit to me--you can see through it) points me to a Senecio ID. BUT...it is such a HUGE genus...it is, at times, daunting to figure out IDs.

Sun or part shade, I think. You can Google the name for care requirements.

o

OK, thanks. I looked at the photos and they look like my plant. Have you grown one, Roesmariero? Apparently they go to 3-4', and I'm wondering if it's a floppy plant or if it stands up well on its own like a shrub. I'm thinking of putting it under a window with morning sun.

o

I (think) I have one, but it has gone through a LONG period of severe neglect, so barely hanging on. (Very sad!) I used to have several-but all small in pots.

I am in the process of PIG in my front yard. (Plant in Ground) Hoping that one makes the cut. I think it will be like a small sub-shrub. What you have in mind sounds like the perfect place for it! Good luck!

o

Ah, I hasn't heard of 'Himalaya' and then I saw another one in the same Senecio neighborhood I also didn't know today: S. vitalis. Good to know!

-Ming

o

I PIGed mine and it died in a cold front. DG said it had some cold hardiness, welllll, not as much as it says, maybe if it is if bone dry. Win some loose some, no, loose lots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here