Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moisture meter

Posted by emee 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 13:24

Do any of you use a moisture meter? I'm not sure I trust mine. I purchased a few new succulents 10 days ago which had been watered when I got them. I have not watered them since. I repotted them & one has already rotted & fell over. Obviously from someone watering too much. Some of the others leaves are looking yellow.

All the plants I've lost, appear to have been from overwatering in spite of how dry the soil felt, or the moisture reading at the time of watering. I am getting afraid to water them at all. Is there a fail proof test to know if it's time to water? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moisture meter

No meter use here, plants benifit from people researching to know more about a plants growth period growing stage is when they would need more watering and less watering if any when not in growth periods.

This time of the year for my few aloes I can if i wanted to water them daily and use a gallon of water for each of the four inch pots when watering, if hot enough all day long I usually do and will water them in the cooler evening.

Mentioning this because the off coloring you discribed, ( not always) could indicate a soil that doesn't drain as well as it should.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here