Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Epi Epic

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 13:31

I know there is a Epi forum but I hang here, so here I will post my photos. As you know, I do like playing with the camera just about as much as I like gardening.

My plant ( I call her Annie after my MOM) is blooming again. When it does, I grab my camera and wallow around in the dirt. Taking pictures from all around. I need to think a new way of taking these photos.. any way, I tried to focus on the bud this time. I have them ordered kinda backwards., because I tacked them onto the collection of Annie photos from past years, so I had to have the new ones come up first, and that meant backwards. This years bloom photos are the first 30. It is getting harder to be different from the last time. Maybe I need a differnt Epi ,.. or a new camera. Slideshow link is way at the bottom.

I feel a certain relationship to this plant. I got the cutting off my mother's plant after she died. That is why I call her Annie. I treat her with a combination of abuse, neglect and tenderness and she rewards me with this phenomena 5 or 6 times a summer. It hardly seems fair.. Annie will get her post flowering treat of fish for breakfast this morning. She is so tired out with her flowers hanging lax off their limbs like dead white bats. Last time a deer came up and ate them.

Every time I climb into a throat of this epi, I feel like I am honoring her and channeling her love of photography. I feel very close to her sitting in the dirt in the dark bathed in fragrance. She too took amazing photos a la Georgia O'keefe. They were large cibrachromes prints back in the day of developing when she developed her large color prints in a photo lab herself. Our house smelled of chemicals. She loved rotting leaves in swamps and iris. She would put on waste tall rubber boots , grab her gear and her tripod, and wade out into the mire and muck and bring back beautiful images of colorful decay. She absolutely hated the idea of digital photography.

Here are my favorites for the night. One because it is like a flower version of the fires of hell and the other for its sublime peace. If you scroll all the way down you will find the link for the slide show. First 30 are from this years batch.

DSC_0150

DSC_0143

Here is a link that might be useful: My

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Epi Epic

wow, that is just breath taking, thank you so much for sharing!

Greg.

o

Soooo beautiful.

Annette

o

Thank you. Looking at the photos gives me peace. I hardly feel responsible for them. I am just a witness. My husband takes photos of clouds and sunsets and he never feels responsible for them. The buds remind me of upside down flamingoes. Kinda like the ones's that Alice in Wonderland used to play that weird croquet game in the Queen of Hearts's garden. That's it!!! god that took a lot of years to place. They swing too in the wind. It was a slightly windy night last night and that messed with the photo shoot. So did the moths.

o

Only one word to describe these and it's AWESOME !!!!!
Kathi

PS i think the epi forum is no longer in existance.
Kathi

o

I did the same when my mom passsed away. I took a stem of her green plant and voila I have the best souvenir now 26 years later. I do have daughters of daughters etc.... of my mom`s plants. I treasured this regular green plant (not sure of the name) but I do love her.

Thank you so much for your glorious pictures :)
Madame Suzanne
Canada

o

I tell the people that I give the plants to to pleas name them annie. so there are a ever increasing crowd of Anniies. She would like that.

o

Beautiful photos and story Mara. My mom is an Annie too and my plant connection with her is zinnias.

o

What a beautiful tribute to your mom--it brought tears to my eyes. Yay, Annie!
I'm renaming mine in honor of your mom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here