teengardener1888

Please help ID aloe

teengardener1888
10 years ago

I tried this on the houseplant forum but no one knows what this is

Comments (17)

• laura1
    10 years ago

I have one that looks like that! I have no idea what it is.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I think it's Aloe Minnie Belle.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

My Aloe like that from Lowes was labeled Aloe zanzibarica.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes!!!! thank you Crenda it is Aloe zanzibarica.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crenda, I did reaserch and nurseries mistakedly call it that species. Are aloes are actually called Aloe juvenna

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, Can you please share a pic of yours

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Good to know, Teen. That gives me a lot more pictures on a search, too.

Thanks!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I shouldn't have posted my suggestion on the fly. I've been scurrying around today and didn't give enough thought to the plant.

I believe mine is A. juvenna, but probably not the same as Teen's. My rosettes are smaller. I have 3 in this 8-inch pot and a pup on the one in front is emerging! yea!. Not the size of pot I would have preferred, but all I had available at the time.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Mine had a tag that said Aloe Minnie Belle. I think the difference between the two might be the size of the rosette. Not sure, though. Mine is in a 4" pot for reference. It ialso in full sun, not etiolated.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I would've said Aloe juvenna, too, if it weren't for the size of the rosette. Glad to see you did your homework, Rhamel, & found out about the confusion of that zanzibarica name.
    I also believe this one is Aloe 'Minnie Belle' (or 'Minibelle').

Mine, from a few years ago (click for larger view):

Of course, it will look slightly different, depending on its growing conditions. I believe one of 'Minnie Belle's' parents is Aloe juvenna.

I will say there is still a possibility is is Aloe juvenna. Wait for flowers to confirm. :)

This post was edited by rosemariero on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 18:17

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, Crenda, yours looks like Aloe juvenna.

Curious where you get your top dressing...I like those small stones!

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

flowers will take forever

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

So, did we decide teen's & Laura's are A. juvenna? Mine appears to be like theirs and I'm curious. It, too was labeled zanzibarica from Home Depot.

tj

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

TJ, yours & Crenda's both look like what I've seen A. juvenna to look like, under certain circumstances. IF it was an Altmans plant, usually anything marked as A. zanzibarica is really an A. juvenna.

Rhamel's & Laura's both have large teeth, but also large rosettes...and I have found some examples of Aloe 'Minibelle' with big teeth. (Dave's Garden has at least 5 different plants shown as A. 'Minibelle'! What a mess!)

Here's what A. juvenna look like when they're not babied (in other words, on the SOS program). One, green guy, when young & naive, one with its regular CA tan & one that was hiding out in the shade (called weeds) that started to etiolate.
    Click for larger view:

{{gwi:493143}} {{gwi:585276}} {{gwi:585277}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Aaaah, the teeth. I see that now. I said Laura in my earlier post and I meant Crenda, I could see the rosette Laura's has. Teen's was confusing to me as the habit is similar to mine but I hadn't notice the dental differentiation. Thanks very much, RoRo. Your patience is much appreciated.

tj

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe mines is juvenna, I ask the store and they said there should be a tag saying zanzibarica, which of course is juvenna

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just replaced the soil and potted the babies separately. The soil as grant said is very peaty