Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alkh86

Flea market finds!

alkh86
10 years ago

Went to the local flea market today in search of dragon fruit for a berlinerweisse my SO and I brewed and came across some bonus treasures! Here's a stapelia I got for a steal! *more pics to come of our other finds*

Comments (21)

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our mountain of dragon fruit

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got white...

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And red! The colors are beautiful!

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All scooped out

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All ready to go into the beer!

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I saved a few seeds to germinate:

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly I picked up a small dragon fruit plant. The grower tells me we should see fruit by next year. Fingers x'd

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stapelia in his new home:

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic:

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Aren't you the lucky one! Nice pot is its new home, too.

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

Are you aware that you haved to pollinate the Epiphyllum like flowers to get fruit? I am so jealous people can find rare plants like dragonfruit in their local markets

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. A few of my neighbors have dragon fruit plants. So hopefully the illustrious pollinators do a good job. I live in central FL and there were many stands at the market with all kinds of rare produce. The dragon fruit came from Miami.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hi! I too am in LOVE with Dragon Fruit plants. I was in Florida last month and I found a grower of Dragon Fruit who sold me cuttings and plants! He is set up to be a U.S. Distributor. I'll post pictures of mine in he A.M.

Where did you find the fruit? Is it now in Season? I was told last month it wasn't in yet.

-Teisa

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yummy! Dragon beer, huh? Cool.

I have 2 pretty large plants but no fruit yet. I've been neglecting them a bit, kinda gave up on propping them up. I'd like to let them grow up a tree but don't have the perfect spot. One day...

Thanks for the sweet treat! Good luck with the seeds.

• alkh86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teisa- I found tons of dragon fruit at the wagon wheel flea market in pinellas park FL. I think most of them came from Miami. They are ripe and delicious!

Hanzrobo- well have to wait about two weeks to try the berlinerweisse. The base beer is very tasty. Hoping the fruit makes it even better! Have you ever grown dragon fruit from seed? I'd love some pointers :)

• LuluLee
    10 years ago

Yummy!! Dragon fruit beer? Sounds fascinating! We used to make Lilikoi (Passionfruit) beer and it was fabulous

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this is a dragon fruit plant?

{{gwi:569989}}

I found the mother plant almost dead in someones front garden. I snapped off the healthiest piece and it's rooted really well. It's loads bigger than this photo now too! Can't work out if it's a dragon fruit or an orchid cactus.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Joe,

That does indeed look like Hylocereus undatus.

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I'm still torn between leaving it as it is and re rooting the new growth. I really like it how it is. Somehow feels like the old dead mother plant is still alive!

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Can Hylocereus tolerate lower light levels than other cacti?

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

I believe hylocereus like epiphyllum like bright indirect light

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!