Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie_m

Hello, New to Succulents!

cookie_m
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I've recently been smitten with succulents of sorts. I'm an orchid addict at heart, but would love to learn about succulents, and start building a small collection.

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could direct me a FAQ for succulent newbies (when to repot, what to do with a new plant,bugs ect), also if there was an online picture gallery with succulent plants so I can familiarize myself.

Finally please share with me your favorite nurseries that sell wonderful cactus and succulents, So far I really like the "Hen and Chicks? " and the Aeonium type.

I also saw this one online but have no idea what it is-

http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//0000/300/90/0/20390.jpg

Thanks

Suzie-

Comments (6)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Arg! That plant that you saw online...I know what it is! The name's just escaping me...this is gonna drive me nuts!

I really like the Aeoniums too. I have a tricolor and it's so neat!

The main thing to remember with cacti and succulents is to err on the side of dry. It's often said on here to practice benign neglect. Which pretty much means ignore it until ignoring it will kill it. Give them plenty of light, pot them in a very light, very fast draining soil, and I tend to keep mine slightly underpotted.

Good luck.

• joscience
    14 years ago

Hey Suzie, welcome to the forum! You'll find that there is an incredible ammount of information associated with this hobby, which at least for some of us, is part of the attraction. The downside is that it may be a little intimidating at first.

As to your particular inquery, this is a pretty good starter tutorial on growing succulents. I can't remember who originally posted it, but I think it is pretty solid.

As to some pictures, the two most prominent online resources are Dave's Garden Plant Files and Desert-Tropicals. Both are extensive lists of plants, many not succulents. However, between those two, you should be able to come up with a picture of just about anything. Another resource I highly recomend is the book Succulents: The Illustrated Dictionary. I find it much easier to page through when trying to ID a plant than looking at (and loading) zillions of web pages. Plus, it is a good way to familiarize yourself with a variety of genera.

As to *where* to get your hands on some plants, you are actually pretty well situated. First off, the big box store always have a decent selection and they are going to be the cheapest. I know Phoenix has a few good specialty nurseries, but there are some truly top notch ones down in Tucson. My favorite are Plants for the Southwest and Arid Lands.

Finally, the plant in your link is Crassula ovata 'Gollum'. That is a monstrose (mutated) version of good ol' Jade.

{{gwi:507157}}
    Here are two of my Crassula 'Hobbit" plants, my smallest and biggest!

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

Your new plant is a mutant 'Jade' whose full name is Crassula ovata 'Gollum'.

10 things you should know about succulents:

1. The Prime Directive: Water when dry. If in doubt, Don't!
    Succulents will tolerate prolonged drought, but prolonged periods with wet feet will promote rot that is usually fatal.

2. The best cultural practice is called Benign Neglect: leave them alone unless you are sure that will kill them.

3. Fertilize 0-4 times a year in growing season. Any balanced fertilizer will be fine at 1/4 recommended dilution. Too much Nitrogen is bad.

4. Repot when the plant absorbs all the moisture in a couple of days, or is obviously too large for the container. When you do repot, use a container one size larger. Using a smaller pot will lessen the chances of plants having wet feet for too long.

5. There are as many opinions on soil mixes as there are growers, but most agree that a soil with a predominance of particulates like pumice, perlite, and gravel is best. Commercial 'cacti and succulent' mixes usually contain too much peat and other water retentive organics that promote fungal rot. Sand is bad because it is too small, and will compact into cement.

6. Common pests are mealy bugs, scale aphids, and mites. There are several ways to treat plants with these infestations. This is a common question on this forum. In some parts of the USA, snails may be a problem.

7. We use scientific names because that is the only way we all know what plants each other is talking about. Common names like 'hen and chicks' can be confusing since there are at least two common types: Sempervivum and Echeveria. Finding out the proper name for a plant is the most common reason for posting to this forum.

8. All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti. It is common for folks to use the term 'cactus' for almost any succulent plant. All cacti come from the New World. Sempervivums from Africa and Europe. Aeoniums are from the Canary Islands.

9. Succulent plants have different periods of dormancy. Aeoniums are 'Winter' growers (really Fall and Spring), and do not like to be watered in the heat of summer when they are dormant. Many are 'Summer' growers, and like to the frequent watering during this time. Always remember the prime directive: if in doubt. DON'T!

1. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Please ask. Don't answer questions unless you are certain you are correct.

A good online resource is DesertTropicals.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent Pests

• cookie_m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello again

Could someone please let me know what plant this is in the left hand corner, the swirly vine :) I need one !

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yougrowgirl/649584251/in/photostream/

• tiamet
    14 years ago

I'm no succulent expert, so this tentative plant ID is based only on visual approximation. The "swirly vine" looks to me like it might possibly be some kind of Sedum. I found a couple pictures that looked like the one you had.

Sedum "Elizabeth"

Sedum spurium

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Hi Suzie,

Welcome to the C&S World of Wonders.

I agree with Tiamet - I think it's S. spurium. Here's mine on the left (not a very good picture).

{{gwi:585505}}

And one of the finest Aeoniums you can have in your collection is A. balsamniferum. Not only is it a delightful plant in and of itself, it lives up to its name by its balsam fragrance. I heartily encourage you to get it (this pic shows the plant etiolated (too little sun) - the pic was taken in January):

{{gwi:585506}}

Lastly, a suggestion. If you have a different question than the original posting, you might wish to post a different message than tagging your question to the original posting - you can expect to get more responses that way.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner