Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting saguaros.

Posted by Microthrix 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:47

Im so surprised that this never occured to me ... can you graft saguaros to make them grow faster? Can you do that to have a desert giant in 25 years instead of 50 ? Has anyone ever grafted a saguaro before? What should the saguaro be grafted onto?

Thanks in advance!
- zeck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting saguaros.

Zeck,

I think there's something about too-dissimilar vascular rings between the C. g. scion and any possible stock that prevents this - otherwise it (likely) would have been done a long time ago by graftmeisters such as Cactus Jordi and Miles Anderson.

o

Micro, Now I'm really surprised YOU even asked this question, but you did. So now I have to chime in with this, ( just kidding though.)

Here is one that has been grafted several times over to cut the time to a record 15 years. I was going to add another 5 ft. But I couldn't get a bigger ladder.

Member, just kidding Kiddo.

Greg

o

Pachycereus pringlei is growing much faster than Carnegiea gigantea. So one could try use P. pringlei as understock. I never thought about this possibility before.

Jordi

o

Hi microthrix it definitely can be done. I have wondered the same thing.So on another forum site I asked someone posted a pic of their's grafted even to a pereopskis! I must say I was pretty shocked haha. Whether the degraft went successful idk but I have def seen it done.

Check it out

Here is a link that might be useful: Saguaro graft pic

o

Microthrix,
I ran the same question through my mind recently. My thought was to take 4-5 24' saguaros and graft them (One on top of the other) together and then possibly grafting arms onto it.Don't know how I would support the arms though!

o

haha that would be sick. Arms would be so hard to graft unless you had plenty 2/4's and made a frame to support them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here