Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing soil from rootbound jade?

Posted by Pallas_Athena (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 13:47

Hi there.

Trying to revive this suffering jade by repotting it into a gritty mix recipe. However, it's so rootbound that I don't know how to remove all the soil without breaking anything. Do you have any tips? I'd really like not to kill it. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing soil from rootbound jade?

I use a garden hose on jet. It takes all that nasty soil off with very little root loss.

o

Do you think this is clean enough?

o

Okay, I cleaned a bit more off of it by spraying it, loosening the dirt with a metal chopstick, and, lastly, dunking it in in the toilet 'til no more dirt came off. I've potted it in the mix, placed it in the sun, and am hoping for the best!

o

It shouldn't be wet when you repot it, and it shouldn't be watered for several days after repotting.

o

In this case, the new mix will wick away any of that excess moisture, so I think it'll be okay. I would move the plant out of the sun for the new 2 - 3 days while it recuperates, then give the mix a very thorough watering and return it to a sunny location (preferably not too hot at first). I actually like my gritty mix to be moistened prior to potting, especially in the Summer.

Those trunks had a nice root-mass.

Josh

o

You'll want to water it after repotting, which is one of the many joys of gritty mix. Letting roots dry out is not good for any plant, and will only increase the recovery time. I've tried letting jades go dry for a couple of days after a repot and they got wilted up and took longer to recover than ones I've watered right away.

Also, that jade was not all that rootbound at all. I just get a bucket of water, and tease out ALL of the old soil with my finger while dunking the rootball. You can be quite brutal to the roots, and it'll survive. You've done good for that jade by putting it in gritty mix.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here