Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Seedlings, Vs Cuttings

I'm looking at buying some plants online. Both seedlings and cuttings are offered at different prices. From a growers standpoint, is there a difference in quality? Is one better? Does it matter?

Rob

Comments (5)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Pls. specify what kinds of plants you're thinking about & what kind of growing conditions you might have to offer. Otherwise, it's hard to answer.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about that. I'm looking at Operculacarya decaryi. Arid Lands offers both forms. Living in Ohio, the plants will be outside in the summer, and inside during the winter. Probably use gritty mix unless someone feels another mix is better.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

O.d. does well in a higher-soil mix, but one which is porous (natch). Gritty mix is too porous, IMO, but lots of good growers use it.

As to the difference, Rob, for this particular plant I'd guess that seedlings are better. It may be true that they'll develop a caudex (some genera don't, from cuttings), so I'd go with the former.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jeff. Seedling it is.

When you say, higher soil mix, what do you mean? Gritty mix with added peat? Something else?

Rob

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

A gritty mix, naturally high in porosity, yes, yes (dons leather-patched sports jacket and lights pipe).....where was I.....yes, Rob, the mix here is gritty, but it's not Al's Gritty Mix, to which I add extra soil and some steer manure for the Cashew (Operculycaria) and Grape (Cyphostemma) Family pachycauls. It's still quite well-draining, it just has some more organic material in it. Top soil or potting soil, sieved twice, is usually what that organic material is, along with the manure.