Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pallas_athena

What's afflicting this paddle plant?

Pallas_Athena
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Ever since I brought it home from the nursery, I've noticed what I assume is a fungal infection creeping more and more into the leaves of my paddle plant. Two turned completely brown so I cut them off, and new unaffected ones have been swiftly growing to replace the ones I cut off. I've been spraying it with a Greencure fungal mixture twice a week, and it seems to be growing okay, but I'd really like to eliminate the problem. Should I be doing something else, or should I just cut all the way down to the last two leaves and start all over again, as well as continuing to spray? Thanks so much.

{{gwi:585622}}

{{gwi:585624}}

{{gwi:585626}}

Comments (9)

• mushibu10
    9 years ago

am sure what it is but ypu should be able to get it replaced I know my local garden centre has a 5 season guarantee on plants, if not replaced but treated.

sorry can't be much help.

leo

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

The top of your plant should look something like this. It would appear someone has cut out the meristem in an effort to: 1. Root a new plant from the top and 2: Cause the remaining base to branch out. In doing this those leaves may have been damaged and may, at some time in the future, drop off. So you can hedge your bet and hold on to the plant and see if it branches and it would look very nice or take it back for a replacement.... your call.

• Pallas_Athena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was actually the one who cut the stem--the leaves were so dry, dead, and blackened that I had to remove them completely. I just want to know what is causing this so it doesn't spread to the new growth!

Also, the garden center where I purchased it from has no return policy on houseplants. They don't claim responsibility for any purchased houseplants that have left the store for any length of time.

This post was edited by Pallas_Athena on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 17:45

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Question for bikerdoc, I love how that paddle plant looks with the leaves almost stack together. How come mine is growing more like a rosette and more spread out?

{{gwi:585628}}

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Could it be the aftermath of a mealyworm infestation? Was there white, cottony stuff in the damaged areas, when they were quite young and small?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

David, looking at your plant and its location, my forest guess is LIGHT. Having said this, you may get strong light all day and the picture was taken when the light was gone. I summer this plant in full sun from early May to late September depending on rain and temperature.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Yes, you might be right. My plants stay on my apartment windowsill, although it gets pretty good light, mostly is indirect (strong during mid-day) and maybe only 3-4 hr of direct sun. Perhaps that's why. Oh well, it still looks okay I think, but it is growing a bit fast, pushing my senecio to grow a bit funny now @@.
    Thanks!

• spapa
    9 years ago

Yes I would say light, my paddle plant looks like that during winter when I have it indoors. Looks nice and healthy though!

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I see, thanks! Would love to have a yard one day so I can put my plants outside for some nice sun.