Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I save this string of pearls?

Posted by radcrast Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:02

HI all, I bought this Senecio rowleyanus about 8 weeks ago and have it hanging in a basket in front of my apartment. it gets lots of bright, but indirect light. I let it get completely dry between waterings since I have a habit of rotting my succulents to death - I've watered it twice since getting it. One of the strands has leaves that are turning black and the non-hanging vine that is on top of the plant has withered away to nearly nothing and turned brown. (see photo) What is going on with this plant? Can I save it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I save this string of pearls?

It looks like you have extremely water retentive soil. Depending on how badly rotted the plant it's possible it can't be saved;

What i'd recommend you try to do is swap out the dirt with cactus mix with 50/50 perlite thrown in. It'll keep water a LOT less than the soil you have right now and it'll help prevent your plants from rotting away.

o

Does the pot have drainage holes in the bottom?

o

Got it. I have cactus mix in there now but I will add some perlite to try and get it draining better.

The pot doesn't have drainage holes. I can drill some in when I switch out the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here