Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that plant

Posted by 100mphtortoise Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 14:06

I seen this the other day, its a pretty big plant and I liked the way it looked, I was wondering what it was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that plant

Maybe Agave angustifolia 'Marginata'? I don't know much about agave though. Just did a quick google search for white and green agave :-)

o

100mphtortoise,
That's what I think it is also. Also I have these around my house. I have to winter them in the basement cellar. I can send you some starter pups out with the cactus plants? If you want. Free just pay postage.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Stush

o

I agree with the previous, and it's quite a stoloniferous plant if you put it in the ground.

o

Ya stush that sounds great, how much do you think the postage would be, sorry ive never gotten plants in the mail before. And I had a question how long would it take do you think until the pups are as big as the mother plant.

o

Couldn't it rather be a Furcraea foetida?

Jordi

o

Ok, I'm back 100mph,
I have sent out many of these during late winter early spring. I sent them Priory Mail but now they could go first class at a lot cheaper price. The pups would have little to no roots but they grow roots fast. Just keep in a dry mix and spray the tops until you see new growth or roots. They are vary easy plants. I should be able to ship in a 3" x 3" x 6" box with your cactus seedlings for under $2. I have plenty for anyone else?

o

Thanks stush, hey I was wondering when you send those if I can get one of the spiral cactus. Thanks alot

o

Oh, sorry to say, the spiral ones strighten out when over watered. I can't tell them apart now. It must have been a growing condition that formed the spirals. They do have one that is more spiral than the ones I saw on the mother plant. I am having a hard time locating one. A friend on another garden site is growing them from seed so I will see how he is doing. I tried to find the seeds myself but unable to.

o

no problem, I will be happy with a straight one, I was just wondering if you had any.

o

I am jealous! So gorgeous, Stush2049.

o

I agree with Jessie's ID. Nice plants, Stush!

Hey, Jurgen! How're you doing? Furcraea foetida would not have teeth on the leaf margins & leaves are much wider than this Agave. =)

o

If you ever prune one of these and don't take extra caution, stand by for fissures in your skin - it's like Nature's hacksaw. And if it grows in SouCal-or-the-like weather, it won't be long before you have plentiful stolons.

o

123Greta,
I don't have any more left. I sold the two mother plants because I was having too much trouble wintering them over in my basement. They are plentyful at Florida. If I get a chance, I'll try to get some starters from friends there.
Stush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here