Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate myself for loving you...

Posted by Dzitmoidonc 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 14:14

I bet we all have them. You spill a pot, you break a branch. What do you do with the piece?
This pot started out as Jacobean Lily (Sprekelia formosissima). A broken branch from an Echeveria somehow got stuck in the pot. I intended to root it and give it a separate pot, but, the road to H3ll is paved with good intentions too.
At some point, a piece of a Schlumbergera was added. Now, I have this mess of plants I really neither want nor need.

The second pic is not a good intention. I don't want them, and refuse to dedicate a pot to them, but I can't just put them on the mulch pile either. Sedums, Epiphyllums, Aloes, even a couple of Cleistocactus rooted in the tiny amount of soil in the bottom. Please don't condemn, but I understand a certain amount of pity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate myself for loving you...

Looks pretty glorious to me! I think they call it "benign neglect." So, what are you going to do with it all?

o

Awww look at the cute little cleisto ... those aloes are fancy lookin too

o

D,
I wish I was your neighbor, I would take them and love them .

Sharon

o

you could try to exchange them with other gw'ers, on the exchange pages. you may get something you want or just the satisfaction of giving them to someone who would really appreciate them.

o

What do I do with them? Eventually they go. Sometimes people who visit express an interest and they get a bunch. I have more plants than I need, so swapping is out. I used to send them out for postage, but I was hosed so many times I quit that. I have donated specimen plants to a botanical garden (their desert exhibit is about 1/3 my donated plants). My wife sponsors a yard sale at a local church, but the plants I send there are usually potted. I wish somebody lived close, the ones in the pics are only the beginning. I mean, how many pots of Huernia keniensis do you need? (I have 3.)

o

Ask for cash up front. I know I would send you out postage ahead of time if I saw something I liked. But as it is, I am in the same situation as you are. I want to keep my collection to just Sansevieria but some times I see something that really catches my attention.
About half the people pay me back for postage. I will not ask for it. If they ask, I tell them it's on the package I sent them w/my address. I have received mush more than I ever sent out. When you get a $40 plant for $3 to $4 postage. Wow, who can complain.
I like the title, was that Joan Jet?

o

I'm with Sharon..
I wish my neighbors had interesting plants!

o

Dz,

As you may know, I did succulent sendoffs for years when I lived in SD (and met some wonderful, simply wonderful people while doing so!) and I always required postage up front (either stamps, postal money order or, least desirable, cash) before the 3-6 pounds of yard trimmings was sent to a recipient. It completely avoids the problems you describe.

o

I completely relate to what you're saying! A passive aggressive strategy I developed is to accidentally on purpose leave some plants outside for the winter. This often backfires, though, because I grow a lot of things that are borderline hardy here and I sometimes end up with something worse - a damaged plant that I don't need or want!

o

Linda,I am right there. LOL. That always struggling aloe maculata. If it is not 12 degrees, it is 5" rain following the 12 degrees.

o

If somebody reading this goes to some farmer's markets in DC or Baltimore (NoVa might be included), I can deliver the plants on an appointed day. Might be some other plants thrown in, like some other rooted epiphytic cacti, some other Aloes, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here