Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

For your viewing enjoyment

I am sure many of you have seen these in greenhouses and conservatories. Some of you may even grow them. I was visiting a local greenhouse once again today, took these pictures and want to share them with you. I find them very interesting. Apparently they collect water in the "Pitcher" and insects fly in, drown, decay and feed the plant, hence the common name Pitcher Plant or Monkey Cups... not sure where the Monkey Cups comes from!

{{gwi:585765}}
{{gwi:585766}}
{{gwi:585767}}
{{gwi:585768}}

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I've seen them in stores,but never got one.TFS
    Kathi

• notolover
    10 years ago

Thanks for these pics.

They are truly a "science fiction" kind of plant ;-)

• paul_
    10 years ago

Not quite, Howard. These types of pitcher plants (Nepenthes) actually produce/exude the liquid within their pitchers. Many actually produce some digestive enzymes as well, though bacterial action also takes place. While members of this genus are terrestrial with regards to where their roots are located, they are viners that will scramble along the ground and may even wind their way up into bushes/shrubs. At the end of the leaf is a tendril. And at the end of that tendril -- assuming favorable conditions -- the pitcher is formed.

Now the pitchers of plants belonging to the genera Sarracenia and Heliamphora are both typically filled by rain water. Both genera are terrestrial and form a rosette of pitchers.

A somewhat helpful way of remembering is to look at the pitchers. In the case of Neps, most species have a "lid" positioned so as to prevent water from falling into the pitcher. Sarrs and Helis do not and instead have their pitchers open to the skies. Neither genera has a vining habit nor are pitchers formed at the end of leaf tendrils as with Neps. Instead the entire leaf is the pitcher. See link.

We now conclude today's mini-lecture on pitcher plants. You all may now wake up and from the brain-numbed torpor I likely induced in you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarracenia

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Paul for keeping me honest. I guess it was too hot the last time we were there and I didn't listen closely.

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Nice Doc. I want to try a few of those myself, one of the bloggers also have them and she has been posting pics of such wonderful species...amazing plants

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

professor paul, that was actually very interesting lesson, never got bored or sleepy. Thank you, I learned something new today.

Great photos, Howard, thank you for posting.
    Rina

• JoeCaudex
    10 years ago

Nice! Here is my pitcher plant. Sarracenia "Dixie Lace"

{{gwi:585769}}

• squishyplant
    10 years ago

I read somewhere that hey found one that actually was in the process of digesting a bird!!! Imagine what that's going to be after a few million years of evolution...
    Matthew

• paul_
    10 years ago

Glad I wasn't too pedantic, Rina.

Nice Sarr, Joe. Just my 2 cents worth though, your plant could use a much larger pot.

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

Oh how cool! I remember seeing pitcher plants and sundews in boggy areas of the Adirondacks and White Mountains when I was a kid... they always fascinated me. I'm a little sorry to admit it, but I remember catching flies and actually putting them ON the plants to see how long it took for the plant to eat them! (Longer than I ever imagined... I thought the plant would chew up the bugs like Little Shop of Horrors... LOL!)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Fascinating plants & fab pix of them, Howard!

Nice lesson/info, Paul!

Nice one, Joe! =)

Thanks to you all!

This post was edited by rosemariero on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 19:25

• averil
    10 years ago

I had one of these last year and they are interesting things. However, I just couldn't stand all the bugs inside the cups. I gave it away in the end. I think my grandson was wary of it :)
    Kind regards
    Averil Uk

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Feed me, Seymour!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    10 years ago

Love the nepenthes...just find them hard to sustain in my clime.

T

Btw, nice pitcher plant, Joe!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Just beautiful. If I lived int the south east, I would be collecting these but too much work for me here.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?