Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New growth on Beaucarnea recurvata has me worried

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 14:23

I've three, probably, Beaucarnea recurvata, with new growth a much lighter green than I recall over the past 3-6 years. They have been in a sun room with much light for a few years. Largely ignored, watered irregularly, that sort of thing.

I'm not noticing anything other than new growth appears different, unfamiliar. I really like the plants and wonder if I should not/do something different.

I will try and find my camera and that may take a while. In the meantime ... any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New growth on Beaucarnea recurvata has me worried

Thoughts, I've had a few
But not so many to mention

Watering, I've had some qualms
About overwatering the ponytail palms

I could go on this for some time, but wanted to spare you the grief - if anything, I'm guessing, you're not watering it enough during this most prime growth period for your B. r. plants.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:36

Jeff,
If your so inclined, I'd like to listen to your musings and theories about watering the pony tail palm.

o

Rob,

Year-around, just less so in winter (unless you've got a greenhouse). Back in the day, any self-respecting San-Diego-based-succulentist had one PIG'd that was the size of a small elephant's foot, never mind the ones that are many feet across/around at Norma's house or at a botanical garden. If it's warm and sunny, they're going to grow, IME and IMO. I'd be curious to hear about your question from others, too.

o

I was looking a pictures over at Google images. Many of those in pots have a caudex that is large relative to the diameter of the pot and often the pot is shallow relative to diameter. Is this ideal? Does it really matter?

How to instructions elsewhere say to repot in the spring. Is this ideal? Does it really matter?

o

Albert,

The root systems one these aren't that deep, so yes, and spring, when their rate of growth is increased* by higher temps and more sun, is the ideal season to repot, although these can be repotted as well on December 21st, too - you'd just want to be more careful about watering then.

OTOH, it may not really matter, but aesthetically, it's pleasing to me to have it in a shallow pot.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 17:54

Mine were in smaller pots, but I wanted to maximize they're growth potential. I potted all three into a large trough.
Photobucket
With the temps in the high 80's and up, I've been watering every 2-3 days. The growth has been very good. I've wondered how the watering has effected the size of the caudex. Once they put some size on, they will go into they're own pots.

Albert,
As far as potting goes, these guys are tough, and I don't think there's a wrong time to repot them.

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here