Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil for los angeles spotted succulents indoors?

Posted by fats626 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 14:28

Hello folks,

I am new to succulents and looking for a simple, no-nonsense soil recipe for my potted succulents. I have tried store bought cactus mix and my succulents keep drowning!

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this hotly debated issue? I have a ton of cactus soil from the containers in which I buy my plants. Can someone suggest a simple recipe in which I can make use of this soil and supplement with a few simple, accessible and relatively inexpensive ingredients? I am planting for events on a fairly large scale in potted containers for both east coast and west coast use�and would these coasts have different soil needs for indoor potted plants?

Help!!! I am overwhelmed and in over my head!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil for los angeles spotted succulents indoors?

I like turface for all container mixes. It's not always easy to find, however. They have a website. Send them an email to find someone who carries it in your area.

If you can find it mix 50 percent of that old mix with the turface.

Pea gravel, pumice, expanded shale are alternatives. Perlite is fine too. I think the key is more than half the mix needs to be non organic coarse mineral material. Preferably, the organic material should be mostly coarse bark, crushed pecan shells, or coconut husk product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here