Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huernia ID

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 14:33

Now that it's in bloom I'm hoping to get an ID. I think it's a huernia but maybe a stapelia, orbea....
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huernia ID

Karyn, I don't have a specific plant for you but because of the raised central disc or annulus, I would say it could be Orbea sp.

http://www.stapeliads.info/serv/core.s3

http://www.asclepiad-exhibition.org/index.html

o

karyn1,
Looks just like the one I purchased from Arid Lands Greenhouses called Stpelia 'Carrion Plant'. The picture looks like it could be Stapelia Grandiflora Variagata.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Could be... Stapelia is a synonym for Orbea variegata.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ORBEA/Orbea_variegata/Orbea_variegata/Orbea_variegata.htm

o

It might be. If I would just stop losing the tags to begin with I wouldn't have these questions. I daresay I lose plant tags more then anyone I know. I used to blame it on my youngest for pulling them out but he hasn't done that in years and I still lose just as many.

o

Karyn,

Like cactus, every succulent Asclepiad has several names. I too would agree that it's an Orbea. It's not Stush's plant, but it's close. How much does it smell?

And I do the same with my tags, but my cats haven't yet stopped wrecking havoc upon plant and tag when the plants are inside for the winter.

o

It doesn't have a strong scent, just mildly putrid. Can an orbea be distinguished by the raised ring?

I have one cat that derives pleasure from knocking an entire pot down and spreading the soil over as large an area as possible. A measly little tag isn't enough for him. Surprisingly my other cat doesn't mess with the plants or plant tags. She's more interested in the chinchillas and sugar gliders.

o

Orbeas cant be distinguished by their rings, as huernia also have raised rings.

And sigh ... the cats ... terrible things they do to cacti ... i have about 15 and they are always running a muke ouside. One of them knocked down my aztekium hintonii, and i had to search for an hour to find it ...

o

I believe it looks more like Orbea cooperi. If you go to the 1st link bikerdoc (Howard) gave you & check the Orbea section of the database, you can see it there.

o

Possibly, but it's just going to be a NOID orbea for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here