Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valeriev626

Why don't you water a freshly repotted plant?

valeriev
11 years ago

I see all the time people saying not to water a plant that they just repotted. Why is that?

I have always watered a freshly potted plant, to set the soil. Haven't had any problems. But perhaps I will not do that anymore. :)

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Succulents are a different consideration that houseplants (which I do water in when repotted). We wish to allow any broken roots to heal before adding water (less risk of rotting).

I firm up the mix & the new potting by hitting the pot against the table or potting bench w/ a good, hard whack or 2, which does the trick (settles the mix & pushes out any air pockets).

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

A reason could be they rinsed the mix or soil that was made before re potting. In this case the soil would already be moist enough for a cacti and or succulent type plant and as well other plants of different type.

A dormant plant doesn't take up as much water as it does when it grows the time of year the plant was reported can be a factor but

Your question is also a common practice of only those you read it from. I too will easily agree not all people who post in forums practice what they preach every time they re-pot a plant. ( Or dont believe everything you hear )

Your question, if it is also an opinion. My point is I dont have to take and follow someones or everyone's advice on how I am to do my plant growing which allows me to sort out the not so good advice from the better advice I may be reading and as well the person who gives the advice. Or
    I believe what I see in front of me and when in front of me sometimes only half.

As you said you haven't had any problems in the past with they way you re-pot now and another person said if it works dont fix it ( which some do say) then do what you do but if something should go wrong with your common newly re-potted plant growing practice this would be Murphys' Law in effect..

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

The reason I personally don't water immediately after repotting is that this makes the roots go seeking for moisture, thus encouraging them to get into the new compost. I always find it's a good thing.

• valeriev
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, thanks for all your input. I understand more now.

Like they said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I will continue to do what I do until it doesn't work for me anymore, but again I am grateful for your input. :)

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Unless I've just removed some thick, fleshy roots (in which case the plant really shouldn't be potted until it has healed), I always water freshly potted plants. Fine roots die and regrow all the time without causing rot. It's the big water storing roots you need to be careful with. And wounds to those areas are best left to heal in open air.

-Chris

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I see the Babble Train is continuing to run.