Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Crassula perfoliata subsp. falcata

Also known as propelloer plant, red crasulla, Scarlet paintbrush and Keiserkoon. I don't know it by Keiserkoon but maybve Beachplants knows it by that. Ant way , it is having its first bloom and what a bloom it is!!! I am watching it none stop. It is keeping me from working. I should ber starting a finish on the Court of Criminal appeals lawyers docket but , NOooooo, I am photographing the light move across my pot and editing 40 photos. And then deciding which ones to show y'all, because I really should not show all of them LOL You would then no how nuts I am. Decisions are not my forte. The flower is not all the way open yet so more blooms might follow (I hope not because I really need to work), Close but still some ones left to open. Some of the photos are similar except for the openness of the umbel.

I do have a question, After it blooms will the whole stalk slowly die except for the base that will sprout lots of babies (Like a Kalanchoe luciae), or will it branch out from the base and the top remaing to bloom next year?. Should I later once the stalk withers crop it down. If so , how much? If I chop just the bloom off, will it branch? I have never grown this before. I wouldn't mind it becoming a huge bunch of babies sporting huge umbels of flowers. It is actually my first crassula. I am more a aloe/agave/opuntia girl. This one I like.

Also my Epiphylum oxypetalum is gearing up for a good night. Someone needs to make sure I do not let beauty pass me unseen in the night. I know set the alarm.

Someone make me go back to work!! I am goung to start climbing in my epi buds with my camera. Today, I have absolutely no self decline.

{{gwi:586040}}

{{gwi:586042}}

umbel more opened and larger.

{{gwi:586044}}

My epi . Her name is Annie , named after my mom. She was a showboat too

{{gwi:586046}}

{{gwi:586048}}

Comments (10)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

wantonamara,
    Your crassula bloom is absolutely breath-taking. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your plants, thanks for sharing.

Planto

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I have that plant as well and mine have buds/blooms also.Over the years pieces of mine have broken off,i just pick them up,put them in a pot and start new ones.I have given about 3 of them away.I don't know about yours,but mine thrive on neglect.Like you i truly enjoy their beauty.

Here's a picture of one of mine:

{{gwi:586050}}

Kathi

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OH, Thank you for your photo. I never see photos of this plant on the forum. Great plant. Do you have or could you take a picture of the base of the plant.

So judging from what i see, it will branch from the long stalk next year, or next time, so I should not cut this back too far , unless I want the branching closer to the base. But I will be getting "branching" and not necessarily "Suckering" from the stalk. And I will get blooms on the plant next year. The stalk acts different than the Kalanchoe luciae where after the bloom, most of the plant dies back and it suckers from the base. Is that correct. Do you get suckering from the base. I see some splitting at the base that could become plant shoots. Is this how your plant behaves?

• nil13
    11 years ago

You'll get suckering from the base as well. Just cut the flower stalk off.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Mara,

Thanks for sharing those. You might be interested to know that, in San Diego, as sure as they followed the jacarandas flowering in June, C. p. s. falcata was a July flower which lasted for weeks.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A red flower that last for weeks. I am in love. My husband calls me RED. He calls his favorite screw driver and cow Red too. Thanks guys for the info..

I am now our bathing in epi fragrance shooting it. I now have a hundred shots to edit. see you in a week. NOT. I do need to go to bed, though.

• castro_gardener
    11 years ago

Mara, I read that the blooms smell like sweet cinnamon. did you get that effect ? Here's what else I read:

Remove spent flower heads to maintain vigor and bushy habit. After growing for several years tend to become untidy, and should be cut very short or restarted from cuttings.

Mine hasn't bloomed yet. Hope I'll see it some day.

patty

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty, Thank you for the info. I am about ready to whack it. Finally, I can join the Whack a Crassula Club, kissing cousin to all those Jade Whackers Association.. I did not smell anything. I did not think too and it did not reach out and grab me.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I whacked the stalk and I chopped it up into peices around each leaf on the stalk. we will see if I get plants out of them..

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Mine are blooming now too. They are like broccoli dyed red.