Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Help to ID a Plant

achang89
10 years ago

This is a plant that given to us from a friend. We've not paid much attention and I do not remember if it ever flowered. Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:586142}}

{{gwi:586144}}

{{gwi:586145}}

I assume it is a big brother of Easter cactus. But I could be wrong. For the thin growth, should I trim it? How should I care it? I assume in the summer we can put it outside for half sun and half shade.

Comments (10)

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

Definitely an epiphyte of some kind. They love filtered sunlight or bright indirect light. A little bit of direct sunlight is ok, but caution should be taken so as not to burn the branches. I feed a weak fertilizer to them bi-weekly in the growing season.

Yours probably hasn't flowered due to not being given a "dormant" period. Basically you stick them in a cold dark area in the winter and water them once a month. Like I said I'm just guessing here, but that's usually why they don't flower.

Could also need to be repotted. They need a pot upgrade about every 2 years.

It looks strikingly similar to a Acanthorhipsalis Monacantha I have due to the growth pattern of the branches. Without seeing it in flower though it's pretty difficult to tell.

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked up the images of Acanthorhipsalis Monacantha and I do not think they are the same. The branches of this plant are mainly flat and thin.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I believe that to be an epiphyllum, an epiphytic jungle cactus

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this is close. Thx.

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

Achang89, I have this plant and all of the branches are thin and flat. If you do Google searches you can see the branches are thin and flat. As they get older the branches get thicker.

This plant in particular looks exactly like yours

http://green-24.de/forum/files/thumbs/t_100_2103_705.jpg

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im telling you it is an orchid cactus

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

NeonCactus, the photo you link to does look like the OP's plant. I checked out the link you gave & found it was from a (German) forum asking if it was an Epiphyllum or Acanthorhipsalis monacantha. Translating all responses form German, the consensus was that it was a Rhipsalis (even though it was found in a Google image search under Acanthorhipsalis monacantha). If your plant also looks like the one in the photo linked, then you probably have a Rhipsalis as well.

I also believe achang89's plant is a type of Rhipsalis/Lepismium. You may have to wait for blooms to determine which species.

Rhamel, your last reply/statement is the kind of thing that has gotten you in trouble in the past. You did well on your 1st response by saying "I believe...", which you could've followed up with something to back up your belief. What exactly is an "orchid cactus"? Which species of Epiphyllum is it? The skinny growths with spines don't look like any Epiphyllum I've ever seen. Do you have an example to show us?

This post was edited by rosemariero on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:06

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We received it from a friend. If I remember correctly, it flowered before and the color is orange red, somehow like the kaffir lily. I do not know if this helps.

I'll just treat it like Easter cactus....

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have a young one but it doesnt resemble arches yet. I actually agree that it can be a Rhip

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Oh my, there's my mystery cactus! I have tried to get an ID on a norwegian garden and plant forum. I got it at a meeting in the garden society. :)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia