Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusn00b

P. Afra offspring watering question

CactusN00b
10 years ago

A little while ago , I picked up a rather tall lanky P. Afra Var. with the intention to bonsai it. I took several of the branches that I pruned off during shaping and set them in small plastic pots to root. It didn't take too long before they rooted. I left them in their plastic pots until I started to see some new growth from them...maybe 3-4 months. I have just re-potted them into clay pots and wasn't sure if I should prevent them from getting water or not. Since they have pretty decent roots. I'm leaning towards watering them as normal, and they have been getting regular water already before re-potting. If I should not water .... for how long?

At what point should they be treated like the parent plant and not cuttings?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

I'm pretty much a noob myself, but I tend to start watering cuttings as soon as they have roots. I don't give them as much as I would give a parent plant with a fully-developed root structure, but I definitely water them when the soil the roots are in is fully dry. There needs to be a balance -- too much watering and the roots won't be encouraged to grow and will eventually rot, too little watering and the roots won't be encouraged to grow and will eventually wither.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Water them frequently. Small clay pots will dry out.
    In my temps, in clay pots of that size, I'd water every other day. Port. afras really appreciate water during the Summer.

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I got the lankiest, branchiest one of these for my first one, too, with the same idea. No advice except that most of the cuttings I tried did (are doing) well as hitch-hikers in other plants' pots, just stuck where there was room, a few rotted. Few enough that I'm happy with the results.

What is the flower in the back, if you don't mind a blurted OT question? Stapelia?

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its "life saver". Huernia insigniflora

Its one of my favorites. It blooms non stop.

to the right is a stapelia,and off picture is a bigger stapelia which is about to give me my first bloom.

10 years ago

Thanks, I love it too! (And the unorthodox pot shape!) Very cool, and good luck on the Stapelia bloom!

The brown pot looks like a bonsai pot?

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is. I have a ficus in it. Its not much of a bonsai, but its my first, so I just wanted to try with something simple.

Here is the stapelia bud. I'm eagerly awaiting it to open.

10 years ago

Ficus is a prefect subject for study/learning. Good luck with it!

That Stapelia flower looks like it's going to be big, and pop open in the next day or two. Cool!

Um, why do you have a stack of empty pots? The plant police may be paying you a visit!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Empty pots? What are empty pots?

• CactusN00b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol .. I just got them in prep for my weekend hunt for new plants. :) They were on sale for 40% off (about .95 ea) so I bought a few stacks of them for future purchases.

I also have them stacked right there to shade the Stapelia, as right now its getting too much direct sun in the morning and looked like it was starting to get sunburn. I also moved it into the shadow of one of the pillars that holds up my patio roof overhang to minimize the time the direct light was reaching it.

I'll fill them up soon enough .. just ask my wife ..

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Plant police will only write a ticket and you'll have to adopt a few cart jumpers from some big box store
    What you want to avoid is the succulent commandos. They wont be as easy either. You'll have to order plenty from Arid lands and Messa and still have to adopt a no tag full priced cart jumper
    Stand back that's a not nice smell Stap