Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blabberboca

Overgrown mystery succulent

blabberboca
10 years ago

Hi there!

I bought a "succulent bowl" from Lowe's around eight months ago (some time in November?). It was doing fine until a few months ago. When spring hit, some of the plants started growing like crazy, and soon were way too crowded.

I waited much longer than I should have to repot them, because they were essentially glued down with rocks. I finally repotted them today, and now I need to figure out how to take care of them all!

I'm posting about one of the plant types in particular. I have several of them, and they're too tall. But because I can't identify them, I don't know the best way to cut them back. Help, please? :) I've included a link with more photos, including a photo of what the succulent bowl looked like when I first purchased it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of my overgrown succulent

Comments (8)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I dont have an ID, but I think the plant is etiolated. Does it get plenty of sunlight

• blabberboca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It sits in a very sunny window -- a south-facing garden window -- but it was extremely overcrowded in the bowl with all the other plants.
    Is there anything I can do to cut it back?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It looks like Crassula capitella"campfire" with not enough sun to get any fire. It does look like it could take more sun. Maybe getting out of the overgrown condition will be enough. They do like to lean naturally. this gets a solid 7 hours of sun.

{{gwi:586356}}

• blabberboca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THAT'S IT!! Thank you so much!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A year ago last fall

{{gwi:586358}}

Here it is when I planted it , a year ago last June, so you can see the spacing and how much it grew. They always jamb those plants together. I never buy their combos. I like to make the choice and play with the colors. You could put all of the Campfires in one and it would be beautiful if you could get some sun on them.

{{gwi:586444}}

• blabberboca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That looks amazing!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Gosh Wanton,

Next to last pic is just exquisite, the colors, contrasts & textures, TFS.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Yes, PG, I get a lot of pleasure sitting by it out on my deck and , of course, taking pictures of it.