Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mi_co

Jade Excitement

mi_co
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I just joined this morning and I'm really happy to have found this Cacti & Succulet's Forum. I've been enjoying reading some of your posts and seeing your pics. My latest venture has been rooting a large section of Jade that I recently bought on ebay. I've always rooted jade cuttings in water in the past but after doing some reading on the web I decided to try rooting this stump directly in potting soil because it was mentioned quite a few times that it would have a stonger root system than if it was rooted in water. The cut on the stump was well healed when I got it, about two weeks the seller said but I waited another two weeks before putting it in soil. About four weeks went by and there were no signs of roots so I decided to put it in water. A week has gone by and i was very excited to see this morning that quite a few roots have appeared. Does anyone think that I might have been impatient and that it would have eventually rooted and will it be OK to continue rooting in water. All my other large Jade's were already rooted when I got them. I'm also wondering how long I should let the roots get before I plant it in soil. I like my Jade plants in a tree form which was what attracted me to this stump. Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

{{gwi:586621}}

Comments (49)

• nikki702
    13 years ago

WOW look at the size of that!!

Welcome to the forum :) im sure someone will be along soon with lots of great advice for you :)

Nikki

• sam268
    13 years ago

Welcome and you made some of us jealous :)

Btw. what type of jade is this big stump?

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure but I think that it's Crasula Ovata. It came from a huge plant that's planted outdoors in California. The seller had a pic posted of the mother plant and the main stalk was at leat five times the width of this one.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

No, do not root in water.

It's better to root it in soil and not water - mist the stump, every now and then, until you see new growth on the stump, then you can give it sometimes sips.

I think that you'll need to let it dry and remove, if necessary, any mush that's there as the result of rooting such a large stump in water. Whatever damage there may be is easily repairable.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Pot it now, if there are root primordia showing.
    Use a gritty, porous mix. You could even use pure Perlite for a rooting medium.

Water roots develop for water; soil roots develop for soil.
    If you put the water roots in soil, they dry up or break. Essentially, you'll be rooting your cutting twice.

I definitely think the roots would have appeared if you'd waited.

As Jeff says above, watch for mush on that wet end.
    And, of course, Welcome!

Josh

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff and Josh, Thanks very much for your help. I'm going to do as you both advised and get it out of the water and let it dry and then into soil. Jeff, you mentioned misting the stump... Just the stump or the soil or both ? Thanks again for your help. Mike

13 years ago

Mike,

I forgot to mention, but Josh reminded me, welcome aboard.

Leave it out of water for a week - if the callous is still in good shape and not rotting, fine, root in a shallow pot with some soil. If not, you'll have to give it a new cut (to healthy tissue) and, for that size of stump, I'd put on a rooting hormone powder and let sit for another week before I put it into soil.

Yes, just mist the stump - there's no reason to water the soil until you see growth. After all, there are no roots, and watering the soil while the plant is rootless (and presumably the soil will stay wet, unless it's completely mineral and completely porous) will make it easy for the callous to rot.

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and the info Jeff. I wondered about rooting hormone... When you say shallow pot, 2 to 3 inches of soil or 4 to 5 inches ? I'm wondering about the stump staying standing up. Is that soil underneath the stump as well ? I'm feeling like quite the plant novice because I think I've done quite well with a lot of my plants but this is my first experience with a cutting as large as this and I would hate to loose the cutting. I really appreciate the help I'm getting in here. Mike

13 years ago

Mike,

As little soil as possible around/under the calloused stump - I'd say no more than 1/2". If you have a bulb pot (those pan-type ones that are wider than they are taller) it would be useful for this, and you can use rocks to stabilize it or a heavy load of top dressing. Once it's growing you can easily transplant it to a for-growing pot from it's let's-get-rooted pot. Your suggested measurements might be good for when you have the plant in active growth and has been so for some time, but I wouldn't repot it in anything more than an inch of soil around the root ball, but that's just me - depending on when you water and what kind of soil it's in, it might grow faster for you.

BTW, if you can give it bottom heat when you root the stump, this will speed up the rooting process most efficiently.

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again Jeff for your help. I have several pan type containers that will work. I have it out of the water and it's drying. Hopefully I can root tone it in a week and then a week latter get it into some soil. I will keep you posted. Mike

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jeff and Josh, It's been a couple weeks since my last post about the Jade stump. I followed your advise and let it dry for a couple days after removing it from water and dusted it with hormone poweder. I put in in soil right away about an inch deep because there was root primordia showing. I've been misting the stump about every other day and keeping the soil dry. This morning my curiosity got the best of me and I gently lifted it out of the soil and it is rooting. The stump feels nice and firm at the bottom and there are little clusters of roots in three different spots and the roots are about 1/4 to 1/2 inches long. Will more roots form all the way around the base and how long do you think it will be before I start seeing new leaves growing at the top ? There are a lot of scar areas around the top of the two brances at the top of the stump where branches were cut off. Will new leaves grow through the scar areas or just through the smooth areas? Thanks again for your help. Mike

13 years ago

Great job, Mike!

Roots and branches grow from the nodes (those distinct rings or bands).
    If below soil, the nodes grow roots - if above soil, the nodes grow branches.
    Occasionally, you'll have roots emerge from a damaged/dehydrated node
    above soil; and often you'll have branches/stems emerge from just below the soil.

The roots do not grow evenly all the way around the base.
    You end up with root-clumps that grow from different nodes below the soil.

As above, so below. Now that there are roots, the stump will be able to leaf out.
    The new growth will emerge from the edges of the nodes nearest the scar. Usually,
    you'll get two branches per node, on opposite sides of the scar.

A stump as large as yours could take between 2 - 4 months to show top growth. Be patient.
    I'm betting you'll have evidence of growth by next month at the latest....since we're heading
    into some of the absolute best Crassula ovata growing weather.

Josh

13 years ago

I thought some pics might be in order... ;)

This was a cutting that I rooted last Spring and Summer.
    In December, it was frozen to mush to about two inches above the soil-line.
    You can see (at my thumb) there is a green branch growing upwards, and a root-clump
    growing downwards from the same node. What I did was simply cut off those roots
    and then raise the whole stump by about an inch. This encouraged even more branches
    to emerge from the exposed nodes.

{{gwi:586622}}

{{gwi:586623}}

{{gwi:586624}}

Crassula ovata is vigorous.
    This growth is all new from this year. Given time, even this large scar will disappear.

{{gwi:586625}}
    Josh

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh, Thanks for the info and the pictures. The pictures really show what you're talking about. I also have a smaller stump that came along with the larger one and it's almost identicle in size to yours. I also have it rooting. I can be very patient. It was very encouraging to see roots this morning.

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, I thought I would give an update on the large jade stump that Josh and Jeff helped me with back in August. The stump has now well rooted and so far all I have is one set of new leaves at the top. I don't see any signs of any more coming along. The new set of leaves popped out about a month ago. I was hoping that I would get at least two on each one of the top sections. Do you think that I will get more shoots or would they have all come out at once /
    {{gwi:586626}}

13 years ago

It lives! Welcome back, Mike!

There will be more branches eventually.
    They don't grow out all at once.

The more light that hits the trunk, the more likely a new branch will emerge.
    Thanks for the update!

Josh

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh. It gets a lot of sun where it is in a bay window so fingers crossed.

Mike

13 years ago

Mike,

It's looking good. As Josh said, there will be more, but it takes an awful lot of energy for this cutting to produce leaves, IMO, because it doesn't have lots of leaves for photosynthesis to take place; ergo, the leaves that do come out, they'll take longer than your average Crassula to grow.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Mike -

How do you find that on eBay? I just did a few searches for 'jade plant stumps'...'jade plant cuttings', etc. and came up empty...

Thanks.

Tom

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Tom,
    I browse ebay alot.. Try succulents and also succulent plants.

I have never seen one like that stump on ebay.. i'd say very lucky fluke. lol..

Congrats on it's rooting and new growth Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on it.
    What an amazing find!
    JoJo

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, JoJo is right. It was a case of pure luck. I always check newly listed first and found it the same day it was listed and it had a buy it now. I've wondered how big the plant it came from is. Must have been HUGE

Mike

• Ron1017
    13 years ago

Now I'd like to get a piece of jade like that.
    Ron

• mi_co
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. Thought I would give you an update on the stump. It's about seven months now since I rooted it. I still only have the one new growth at the top. Luckily the growth has two branches with a total of five branches at the ends. Kind of interesting looking I think. The stump gets plenty of light so I'm not quite sure why I haven't had any more growth but I'm quite happy with the results and it should look pretty good as the new growth bets thicker.
    {{gwi:586627}}

13 years ago

Hey, Mike, thanks for the update!

Don't worry, there will be more growth eventually.
    It's just a matter of time and season. As the sun's intensity begins to increase,
    you should see some nodes beginning to activate.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Fantastic Job my Mass friend!
    I most certainly can see potential.

I think once the warmer weather finally arives, watch out.

I see all that snow and let's hope we get the warmer temps soon.

Mike

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

Great study. In SE Michigan we don't get a lot of sun in the winter, due to the Lake effects, so I have my suculents in the basement under plant lights. Please tell me if you people in Massachusetts get sun like those pictures show most days?

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Tom-

I have found the jade stumps in the past searching "Jade stock". That was last summer when a seller was holding dutch auctions for lots of jade plant material.

Good Luck... Maybe just have to wait for the summer to search for this seller again.

-David

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Pat.

We have so many days with lack of sun, it's no wonder half of my family here is Vitamin D defficeint..lol
    I would say the amount of sun between the lack of hours of it and then the constant clouds and snowy weather, gives us barley any at all, if we are lucky. I think they appreciate 8 hours of constant light than unreliable sunny days.

Looks like that finally, more than one day in a row will be sunny. But as you, I also put mine under lights to carry them through the winter. They seem to LOVE the lights better than a south facing window with such little sun anyway.

When will you shut the lights off and then where will you put them?

Take care and have a nice day.

Mike

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Thanks for bumping this storyline to the top. I think I missed it originally.
    I will now add Jade stock to the list of things I might could sell on Ebay when I retire.
    I've got old comic books, old Dr. Seuss books...jade stock...who knew?

13 years ago

DR,

Bringing that up hurts - I threw away hundreds of pounds, nay thousands, when I cleared out six 4-5' tall shrubs in the courtyard of my San Diego apartment. All of those thick, multi-branched trunks!

• Pat z6 MI
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike. Thank you for the MA sunshine information. I will keep the succulents under lights until warm enough to put them outside and slowly introduce them to the sun. I just realized that I have totally eliminated their water during this winter and they are putting out crazy new growth anyway. I totally forgot that they go dormant in the heat of summer. Appreciate your help.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Patann.

Gotta love these plants for sure! Good luck with yours and pray for an early spring. God knows we could use it. :-)
    Your welcome.

13 years ago

Patann,

If the thousands of words written by others have postively affected even just one C.o. owner's collection, well, by gosh, it's all been worth it.

I meant to say in another one of our posts on this subject that, given all the things that they need to grow (warmth, but not too warm / sunny / porous soil / air circulation / water, but not too much / if potted, a pot which doesn't fight those other conditions), these might very well grow year-around, or less accelerated, but winter in their homeland is when they grow best. So one tries to supply those habitat conditions, to a degree.

Here's an example of a Crassula ovata not quite getting what it needs: One of two remaining cuttings of Portland John's Crassula ovata cultivar not getting the independent / combined plant love which it needs, but getting by.

{{gwi:586628}}

That Crassula isn't the only thing needing repotting.

{{gwi:586629}}

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Does anyone know where you can get these Hugh jade cuttings? I checked eBay, nothing. They would make a great statement plant.
    Sharon

12 years ago

Sharon,

Contact me privately via my handle if you're interested. I have some contacts in San Diego (where, as you know, huge jades are as common as jade questions here are) who may be able to supply you with what you're looking for. Your question offers me another opportunity to P&M about the 1000s of lbs. of C.o. that I tossed when I lived there, including stumps on the average of 36 cm in diameter and the bark pattern of a Galapagos tortoise's back - if I knew then what I know now I'd have started a stump farm (I wouldn't mind a stump myself).

And a good morning to you.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Hi mi co, would you please give us update on your beautiful stump. i just purchased one myself, 4in. thick. Its huge and heavy. Does anyone know how long it should be calloused before planting it in gritty mix? For some reason the seller from CA insists that it roots good in water. I'm not going to try his method for fear of rot. i'm not new to jades, just never had such a huge piece. Any advices?
    Thanks a lot
    Inna

12 years ago

Inna,

If the seller in CA says it roots well in water, I suggest you do not purchase from him/her - they don't know what they're talking about.

Advice - it could take months / weeks, depending on your conditions, mostly. Ideal rooting conditions would no doubt accelerate the rooting (things like constant ambient warmth, a heat mat, etc), but it's dependent on conditions / size.

You can start the rooting process a few days after it's been cut. Just don't water it (mist it only) until growth is evident.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff, I did buy and received today. What upsets me he wrapped it in wet paper towels. I asked him to postpone shipping since its kind of chilly in Brooklyn, at night 33F. Nevertheless it was on my doorstep in the morning. When I wrote him in a future please don't wrap in wet towels,he was offended and replied that everybody happy w/his packing and jades could crack if not wet(it was priority mail 2 days shipping) Anyway it took me almost an hour to remove some rot started on tops. He tried to insult my intelligence;)) saying its just a way of healing. Please , unfortunately I know what rot looks like. i cleaned and sprinkled w/cinnamon(thanks Karen again). Lets hope for the best
    Inna

12 years ago

Inna,

I'm sure there's a word for someone who is ignorant and condescends at the same time, but I don't know it.

The best advice I can give you, assuming all the rot is gone, is to not water - more plants have been killed. As long as the rot's on top, and not at the rooting area, you should be fine. If you haven't rooted it yet, and still need to do some cutting in the rooting area, I'd also get some Rootone and use it there.

BTW, what selling place did you buy it from? I'm assuming you can leave some feedback there - I hope you do. I'd give him a piece of my mind, but that's all I have, so let him know how he didn't listen to you.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Jeff,

I paid $16.00 for two plus $!0 in shipping. I think its a good deal for stumps which are 10" in height and 4" in diameter. Thanks for the advice,always helpful
    Inna

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Yes, but the guy is REALLY misinformed!

A dry jade can withstand weeks (maybe even months) left standing up dry & bare (no mix) in a clay pot. No cracks, split my foot, I wouldn't buy from this guy again. I've never known anyone who knew succulents to wrap moist toweling on them -- what a dork!!

You're most welcome about the cinnamon tip, think thanks to the Orchid growers from whom I learned it.

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Seriously lovely, and I think I might recognize the seller--and now I know to stay clear. Those large stumps are seriously tempting, though. I'd love one and have been pining.

But moist paper towels. Come on.

12 years ago

Ina,

I'm in full agreement with you - that seems a fair price for what you're getting, and if it's what you wanted, that's even better.

I think of the trunks 8-10" wide that I threw away with abandon (and some flair, I'll have you know - I wouldn't queer any pitch with my delivery of a 20 lb. trunk into the dumpster)...well, it's almost enough for me to go sobbing into one of the many snowbanks we've developed today.
    {{gwi:551463}}

When I do go back to SD sometime, I'm getting a hunk from the GWOJWKL, a real piece from the true cross, and I hope to be able to tell you that a stump resides with me, and you'll be giving me pointers on how to root it.

12 years ago

Jeff, that sounds like a noble pilgrimage, indeed....

Inna, a good price for sure. Stumps aren't easy to come by.

Josh

• elichka
    12 years ago

Karen: I will make sure to give him proper feedback. I think that not everybody go on Gardenweb to read about succulents and proper care. Imagine some not informed customer who got a plant which at some point start to decline and the person blames himself. Thats not right. We all do mistakes but we learn from them. That man refused to admit that he was wrong. That is upsetting.

Jeff: this Jade is Magnificent. i was in San Diego many years ago,but unfortunately I wasn't into Jades,so I didn't pay proper respect. I wish I'd go now

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Pirate-girl - your cinnamon tip is the best tip you have ever give to me! I thank you for that!

Inna - I believe I've been scouting the same ebay seller as you. I've been reluctant to order from this person but if stumps are hard to come by I might be willing to try! However, being as he's so misinformed I may not . . .

~Erin~

• elichka
    12 years ago

Erin,
    I don't want to discourage you. I just thought that $8 for 4" thick and 10" high is a bargain. Sorry, it comes to$13 a piece if you count shipping. its hard to imaging, i realized how huge it is when I could barely lift the box. It was always my dream to try to root and grow Jade stump. I'm very excited.
    Inna

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Inna - You didn't discourage me. He says right in the description "roots well in water". I thought it was odd!

~Erin~

12 years ago

Jades *will* root in water, of course....but it's a silly thing to do to a succulent (in my opinion).
    That trunk is full of water, and the last thing it needs is more water. The drought-stress will induce
    the plant to form roots and send them out in search of moisture. When that happens, then you
    provide the moisture for those prospecting roots.

Josh

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery