Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermie3rd

Need an ID for this Jade

hermie3rd
10 years ago

Hi All,

I recently picked up this jade plant at one of our local garden stores. It only had a description of "succulent" attached to it. (Most helpful). When I asked an employee there if he knew what type of jade it was, he told me he had no idea. I thought it was pretty and only $3, so I grabbed it.

(And I know that the soil isn't correct - studying for the Bar exam, which I take this Tuesday and Wednesday, so after that I will have time to repot and get it in its right type of soil!)

Thanks so much!

This post was edited by hermie3rd on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 16:02

Comments (15)

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

It looks a lot like my "Crosby's compact mini" or possibly another small leaf jade.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looks like the most commonly found Crassula ovata to me. If you can tell me the length of the leaves (most of them on average), maybe I'll change my mind. ;) Good luck on your exam!

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rose - the largest leaf is 1 1/2 in long, by 1 in wide. Most of them are slightly smaller than that.

And thanks! :) This is my 71st day of studying. I'm over it!! My yard looks a mess, and while I've at least been watering my plants to keep them alive, they have been neglected. I can't wait to be done and able to get back to a somewhat "normal life!"

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hermie, Good Luck with your bar exam!! My daughter took that test a year ago...she called me to tell me she still has anxiety attacks just thinking about it even one year later,lol...She did say you guys are taking it a week later than last year. Keeping fingers crossed. I know the waiting was absolutely nerve racking...she didn't get her results till Oct. 1st...that was brutal!!

Good luck and best wishes on your Jade as well...

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PugLvr - Thanks so much! This has been one stressful summer. I don't feel anywhere near prepared, but I've been studying 8-10 hours a day since I graduated back in mid-May, and took the BarBri commercial course. I feel like I've done everything I can to prepare, so we'll see how it goes! I can definitely appreciate that your daughter still has anxiety about it. I'm just really glad it's going to be over with soon - it will be nice not to wake up at 4:30am thinking "What do I have to study today??"

Congrats to your daughter. Michigan doesn't get results back until mid-late October, so I can appreciate what she went through. But, once I turn my exam in, I'm just going to (attempt) to let it go and not worry about it, because there is nothing I can do after that.

Thanks again!! :)

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Okay, with those measurements, I agree w/Kat's ID, but tweak on name: Crassula ovata 'Crosby's Compact'.

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! Thank you all! I actually just closed the books.....so I'm headed to the garden store this afternoon to get some cacti medium to replant both my jades.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I agree with you, once you take the Bar there is nothing more you can do but put it aside and wait for the results...like you said its out of your hands at that point. Enjoy your repotting, you need to rest your brain from studying and plants is a nice break...best of luck!!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 8:58

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello! Pug, great to see you ;-)

Rosemarie, at 1 1/2 inches, don't you think that's a bit large for a 'Crosby's Compact'?

Josh

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Josh, good point. Thanks! Was thinking when Hermie said most are smaller than that, made it seem 'CC' was it. Checking my plant, most leaves are less than an inch long. (But, mine is on the SOS program, so I expect smaller than most.) I do have a branch with leaves up to 1ý inch long, but it's the exception to the rule. Okay, I stand corrected! Not good to rush. Back to thinking regular Crassula ovata. What do you think it is, Josh?

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

Yeah, sounds like regular Crassula ovata to me too -- for some reason, I assumed the plant was in a very small pot! (Probably because I'm sitting right next to a baby Crosby's compact mini in a very small pot...)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello!
    I'm going to guess straight Crassula ovata, as well.
    But, Rosemarie, you are right; some of my 'Crosby's Compact' send out a slightly larger leaf-pair every few nodes, in a very regular fashion.

Josh

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys! I guess I'll wait and see how big it gets. Lol. :) Either way, I got it repotted. So now hopefully it will be a little happier and grow for me. I appreciate all the input!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Josh!! Nice to see you here...

Hermie, good luck with the results...I'm sure you did just great!!
    I'm sure you're very happy its all over!! Best of luck with your newly potted Jade.

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much PugLvr! It was okay. The multiple choice the second day was TOUGH. But it's over. And no results until November. So....time to enjoy the rest of my summer! :)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists