Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe doesn't produce offsets

Posted by natmae 6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 15:08

My aloe is about 3-4 years old and it's never produced offsets/pups. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to start another aloe plant, but I don't want to purchase another plant when I already have a large aloe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe doesn't produce offsets

May you please share a pic, aloes tend to pup profusely i neglectful situations, Your aloe must actually be happy to have no babies

o

A pic would help us know what kind of Aloe you're discussing.

I believe how readily an Aloe pups is a function of which type of Aloe it is, as well as the growing conditions it's being given (not a function of how neglected it has or hasn't been).

o

I purchased this aloe from Lowe's home improvement center. I've had this for years in a south facing with plenty of sun. I recently placed it outside for the first time and I repotted it in a larger pot consisting of cacti/succulent mix.

o

It looks to me like Aloe arborescens, which can grow into a bush. I think it would pup. Maybe not so willing while growing in a pot? I see your tag says Aloe vera. It could still be that species.

o

I have a similar looking, commercially bought Aloe vera, looks similar to yours, which took a number of years to pup. I remember wondering about it myself. Not sure, but I think it was 5-6 years 'til it pupped.

o

Thanks all. I'll keep up the work and continue to try and get it to produce pups. Are there certain types of aloes that do not produce pups? I've read that in a few places, but am not sure if there's any truth to that.

o

I don't think your's is a aloe vera. It is forming a straight trunk with a ridgid form. My A. arborescens is in a pot and it pups but the pupping happens at ground level and just above off the trunk. In the ground, I hear that they get some size to them. My leaves are much curlier than yours. I think , though, that Aloe arborescens is fairly variable. I have seen others show the curlier variety and I have seen the strappier leafed one that looks more like yours. It does pup differently than A. vera who sends leaders under the ground . Here it is 2 years ago . It is the tall one on the far right. I grew it from a tiny cutting.

Then 6 months later, (June 2012) and it is still putting on size but still no bloom.
Aloe arborescens

o

I dont beieve that is aloe vera either. aloe vera is a very floppy plant and would never develop sch a trunk

o

Yeah, I've noticed that it's not like the other aloe's that I've seen in people's homes. Is there a specific species of aloe that I should be looking for in order to get offsets? As mentioned, I purchased this at Lowe's and it came with the tag "Aloe Vera". I'd like to get my hands on an aloe that will provide me with many more future plants, but I don't want to get duped by mis-labeling in home improvement stores.

o

Aloe maculata, A. grandidentada, Aloe deltoideodonta ( many varieties, Aloe noibiles, Aloe juvena, many many many. aloe aristata, most aloes will pup till one gets to the larger varieties. Most of the cute kelly griffen hybrids will pup like A. pink Blush, delta lights,

Some Non puppers are Aloe striata, aloe capitata, Aloe pillansii, Aloe peglarae, your Tree aloes.

I just sliced my finger open and I need to stop typing and be a good patient.

o

Believe me not aloe vera. this is a floppy aloe vera of mine with a pup

o

I have an aloe that pups like mad. I have no idea what it is, I snagged a 2" bit from a pot in an elevator bank at work, and two years later, I've filled multiple pots with the stuff. I call it my Tribble aloe. If you want, I'd be happy to send you some of it.

o

Danelle, for curiosity sake can you please sharea pic

o

Here's a photo, with a AA battery for size. It's kind of a beast. I see similar teeth and markings to your aloe, teen, it could be the same kind.

This is the original plant, it could probably use a divide & repot, I just haven't had the energy to wrestle with it. The last time I pulled it out, you could see all the pups that hadn't worked their way out of the soil yet, which gave me the heebie-jeebies, for some reason.

o

Classic Aloe chinensis ( aloe vera), I think. If it blooms yellow , It is a Aloe barbadensis.

o

How's your finger, Mara? Better, I hope! =)

Teen & Danielle, as Mara said, you both have Aloe vera f. chinensis. Maybe now reclassified (?), the real Aloe vera / barbadensis looks very different (more like the OP's plant, but without the trunk).

Mara gave a great list of names of puppers & non-puppers. There are plenty more!

o

Thanks for the ID! I've never worked too hard to name this one. I'm tickled that a wee scrap of a leaf turned into such a monster, though. Turns out a little extra sunshine created the HULK.

o

A tiny rosette created the plant. Aloe leaves do not root. they need a rosette with stem in tack,

This post was edited by wantonamara on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:34

o

You're right, I know I keep referring to it as a scrap, but it was actually a tiny, 1.5" piece with another small leaf emerging, and the smallest bit of root. Definitely a complete pup. It was mostly yellow and almost completely flat, but the newer, tinier leaf was greener and fatter. It still had some life it in, so I put it in soil. Lo and behold, I have a huge healthy plant now! :)

This post was edited by Danielle317 on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:51

o

I hope my aloe vera var chinensis grows like Danielles. Gorgeous

o

I hope my aloe vera var chinensis grows like Danielles. Gorgeous

o

Danielle, thank you for posting your picture! Your aloe is beautiful and I hope to one day have many abundant aloe plants like yours. If it's not too much trouble, I would love a cutting if you're willing to send some out to CT. Thanks!!

o

Natmae, I can shipp you several Fair sized babies. But mines are not quite as colorful but they pup profusely

o

Sure! Send me an email with your address ... same as my user name, with @gmail.com.

I can send these two out today.

o

Hi everyone! I wanted to share that my 4 year old enormous aloe finally produced offsets for the first time! I'm a happy girl :)

This post was edited by natmae on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:44

o

AAHHHH, the "patience grasshopper" advice is true to point again. Notice how close it is to the plant. Their is no long leader to the rosette. This in time will be a much more satisfying aloe than the aloe chinensis, But the A.chinensis is medicinal.

o

AAHHHH, the "patience grasshopper" advice is true to point again. Notice how close it is to the plant. Their is no long leader to the rosette. This in time will be a much more satisfying aloe than the aloe chinensis, But the A.chinensis is medicinal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here