Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natmae

Aloe doesn't produce offsets

natmae
10 years ago

My aloe is about 3-4 years old and it's never produced offsets/pups. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to start another aloe plant, but I don't want to purchase another plant when I already have a large aloe.

Comments (28)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

May you please share a pic, aloes tend to pup profusely i neglectful situations, Your aloe must actually be happy to have no babies

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

A pic would help us know what kind of Aloe you're discussing.

I believe how readily an Aloe pups is a function of which type of Aloe it is, as well as the growing conditions it's being given (not a function of how neglected it has or hasn't been).

• natmae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased this aloe from Lowe's home improvement center. I've had this for years in a south facing with plenty of sun. I recently placed it outside for the first time and I repotted it in a larger pot consisting of cacti/succulent mix.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It looks to me like Aloe arborescens, which can grow into a bush. I think it would pup. Maybe not so willing while growing in a pot? I see your tag says Aloe vera. It could still be that species.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I have a similar looking, commercially bought Aloe vera, looks similar to yours, which took a number of years to pup. I remember wondering about it myself. Not sure, but I think it was 5-6 years 'til it pupped.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I don't think your's is a aloe vera. It is forming a straight trunk with a ridgid form. My A. arborescens is in a pot and it pups but the pupping happens at ground level and just above off the trunk. In the ground, I hear that they get some size to them. My leaves are much curlier than yours. I think , though, that Aloe arborescens is fairly variable. I have seen others show the curlier variety and I have seen the strappier leafed one that looks more like yours. It does pup differently than A. vera who sends leaders under the ground . Here it is 2 years ago . It is the tall one on the far right. I grew it from a tiny cutting.

{{gwi:586642}}

Then 6 months later, (June 2012) and it is still putting on size but still no bloom.
    {{gwi:586644}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I dont beieve that is aloe vera either. aloe vera is a very floppy plant and would never develop sch a trunk

• natmae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I've noticed that it's not like the other aloe's that I've seen in people's homes. Is there a specific species of aloe that I should be looking for in order to get offsets? As mentioned, I purchased this at Lowe's and it came with the tag "Aloe Vera". I'd like to get my hands on an aloe that will provide me with many more future plants, but I don't want to get duped by mis-labeling in home improvement stores.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Aloe maculata, A. grandidentada, Aloe deltoideodonta ( many varieties, Aloe noibiles, Aloe juvena, many many many. aloe aristata, most aloes will pup till one gets to the larger varieties. Most of the cute kelly griffen hybrids will pup like A. pink Blush, delta lights,

Some Non puppers are Aloe striata, aloe capitata, Aloe pillansii, Aloe peglarae, your Tree aloes.

I just sliced my finger open and I need to stop typing and be a good patient.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Believe me not aloe vera. this is a floppy aloe vera of mine with a pup

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I have an aloe that pups like mad. I have no idea what it is, I snagged a 2" bit from a pot in an elevator bank at work, and two years later, I've filled multiple pots with the stuff. I call it my Tribble aloe. If you want, I'd be happy to send you some of it.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Danelle, for curiosity sake can you please sharea pic

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Here's a photo, with a AA battery for size. It's kind of a beast. I see similar teeth and markings to your aloe, teen, it could be the same kind.

This is the original plant, it could probably use a divide & repot, I just haven't had the energy to wrestle with it. The last time I pulled it out, you could see all the pups that hadn't worked their way out of the soil yet, which gave me the heebie-jeebies, for some reason.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Classic Aloe chinensis ( aloe vera), I think. If it blooms yellow , It is a Aloe barbadensis.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

How's your finger, Mara? Better, I hope! =)

Teen & Danielle, as Mara said, you both have Aloe vera f. chinensis. Maybe now reclassified (?), the real Aloe vera / barbadensis looks very different (more like the OP's plant, but without the trunk).

Mara gave a great list of names of puppers & non-puppers. There are plenty more!

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ID! I've never worked too hard to name this one. I'm tickled that a wee scrap of a leaf turned into such a monster, though. Turns out a little extra sunshine created the HULK.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A tiny rosette created the plant. Aloe leaves do not root. they need a rosette with stem in tack,

This post was edited by wantonamara on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:34

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

You're right, I know I keep referring to it as a scrap, but it was actually a tiny, 1.5" piece with another small leaf emerging, and the smallest bit of root. Definitely a complete pup. It was mostly yellow and almost completely flat, but the newer, tinier leaf was greener and fatter. It still had some life it in, so I put it in soil. Lo and behold, I have a huge healthy plant now! :)

This post was edited by Danielle317 on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:51

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I hope my aloe vera var chinensis grows like Danielles. Gorgeous

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I hope my aloe vera var chinensis grows like Danielles. Gorgeous

• natmae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Danielle, thank you for posting your picture! Your aloe is beautiful and I hope to one day have many abundant aloe plants like yours. If it's not too much trouble, I would love a cutting if you're willing to send some out to CT. Thanks!!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Natmae, I can shipp you several Fair sized babies. But mines are not quite as colorful but they pup profusely

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Sure! Send me an email with your address ... same as my user name, with @gmail.com.

I can send these two out today.

• natmae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone! I wanted to share that my 4 year old enormous aloe finally produced offsets for the first time! I'm a happy girl :)

This post was edited by natmae on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:44

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

AAHHHH, the "patience grasshopper" advice is true to point again. Notice how close it is to the plant. Their is no long leader to the rosette. This in time will be a much more satisfying aloe than the aloe chinensis, But the A.chinensis is medicinal.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

AAHHHH, the "patience grasshopper" advice is true to point again. Notice how close it is to the plant. Their is no long leader to the rosette. This in time will be a much more satisfying aloe than the aloe chinensis, But the A.chinensis is medicinal.

• ricky_griffith94
    6 years ago

My aloe have not had many pups and is years old.