Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnkosch

Propagation question! (with pics)

mnkosch
10 years ago

This succulent had these baby plants growing off the mother when I bought it. I really love how it looks, along with the orange flowers. Is there any easy way to divide one of the babies from the mother, without having to dig up the plant? Here is the pic:

Comments (7)

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

One sharp tool and snip the pup you want close to the base of soil

• mnkosch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Then should I let is callous? After it is calloused can i just stick it in the dirt?

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

Yep! Let the cutting callous for 1-2 days and then stick it in DRY soil until it starts growing roots (1-2 weeks). If the potting medium is even slightly wet, the cutting could potentially rot as it has no way to take in the water. Once the cutting has roots, you can mist the top soil 2-3 times per week until the root system becomes larger at which point it can be transplanted to a larger pot and treated under normal conditions (6-10 weeks).

Hope this helps!
    -Nick

• mnkosch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nick! Very helpful information. Should I mist it enough that water soaks down into the soil?

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

I would try to get the top layer of soil (1-1.5 inches) moist, but not saturated--almost like a rung out dish cloth. The soil should dry out within the day. As I said above, repeat ~3 times per week. Also, try to avoid misting the leaves directly; unlike house plants, succulents don't really like that.

• mnkosch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate all the help!

• greenlarry
    10 years ago

And make sure they get good light too!