Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent mealybugs or normal decay?

Posted by cpulord1 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:25

So I started seeing this fuzz on one of my succulents. I panicked and just took the whole thing off (There's a bunch of others in my plantar which I've kept).
Just can see this white cottonball thingie, but nothing else. Was this the right call?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent mealybugs or normal decay?

The reason why I'm asking about normal decay, is that on the healthy succulents, I'm seeing these other white attachments that I worried were more mealybugs, but upon closer inspection I think they may be just dehydrated bulby leaves.
Thanks for any help guys!

o

Definitely doesn't look right. I'm not sure if there's pests but that looks like mold to me. Rot, maybe?

o

Mealybugs infestation! Yuck! You could spray with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol & water. Then pick off by whatever means-toothpick, Q-tips-blast with water. Re-check in a few days & repeat if necessary. You can take out stems & toss, but if you could save-I would. Good luck!

o

Yea the moldy stuff was mealybugs for sure and I just tossed out the stems
But the 2nd picture, could that be old jellybean leaves that have dried up and withered?

o

I would definitely toss the plant...also research proper potting media for your succulent. I think you have a problem with your soil as well.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here