Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjames_gw

Dormancy Table

brodyjames_gw
13 years ago

Found this table at highlandsucculents.com Don't know how accurate it is, but I thought it a good jumping off point, especially for newer C&S growers like me.

Nancy

DORMANCY TABLE

WINTER DORMANT

This group is generally regarded as the "summer growers". They have adapted to our northern hemisphere cycle and are dormant from November through February. Many of these will also enter a pseudo rest period for a few weeks during the hottest part of the summer before putting on a final burst of growth in September and October.

Adenia

Adenium

Agave

Alluaudia

Brachystelma

Bursera

Calibanus

Ceropegia

Cissus

Cyphostemma

Didieria

Dorstenia

Echeveria

Encephalartos

Euphorbia

Ficus

Fockea

Huernia

Ibervillea

Ipomoea

Jathropha

Lithops

Monadenium

Moringa

Operculicarya

Pachypodium

Pedilanthus

Plumeria

Pseudolithos

Pterodiscus

Raphionacme

Siningia

Stapelianthus

Synadenium

Tillandsia

Trichocaulon

Trichodiadema

Xerosicyos

SUMMER DORMANT

Usually referred to as the "winter growers", these genera are dormant during the warmer months of May through August. Their primary growth actually occurs during autumn and spring while slowing considerably during true winter. Many will exhibit marginal growth during the summer months as well especially in the Lily and Crassulaceae families.

Adromischus

Aeonium

Aloe

Anacampseros

Astroloba

Avonia

Bowiea

Bulbine

Ceraria

Conophytum

Cotyledon

Crassula

Dioscorea

Dudleya

Fouqueria

Gasteria

Gibbaeum

Graptopetalum

Graptoveria

Haemanthus

Haworthia

Kalanchoe

Neohenricia

Othonna

Pachycormus

Pachyphytum

Pachyveria

Pelargonium

Peperomia

Portulacaria

Sansevieria

Sarcocaulon

Sedeveria

Sedum

Senecio

Stomatium

Talinum

Tylecodon

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

These genera are in active growth now, but that may stop as we're finally seeing summer temperatures (where it doesn't get very cool at night) - today was 31C!

Kalanchoe
    Crassula
    Cyphostemma
    Graptoveria, Graptopetalum, Pachyphytum, Pachyveria, Sedum, Echeveria, Cremnosedum
    Aloe

I've certainly found it true that winter-growers were so in San Diego for Tylecodon, Pachycormus, Dudleya, and some Aeonium. I never grew enough Mesembs to know about them.

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm taking the list with a grain of salt; simply as a "well, it's someplace to start" kind of thing, as I've noticed that my aloes and crassulas are all producing pups and rooting from fallen leaves. My E. tirucallis are putting out new leaves while my E. suzanneae and E. polygona aren't doing anything.

Nancy

• - -
    13 years ago

Another site that is helpful:

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/div/dorm.asp

As you, say use it's a place to start. The pictures
    on this site are extremely valuable.

• land3499
    13 years ago

>I'm taking the list with a grain of salt; simply as a "well, it's someplace to start" kind of thing,

Indeed!

I've seen Adromischus listed as summer-dormant elsewhere as well, but the few species I have happily grow and flower during the summer!

Nancy, as a general observation, I've found that most Euphorbias have their growth spurts either in early summer, or starting in mid-summer. Only those in the E. milii complex grow continuously throughout the summer (for me, at least.) And I'd call many of the larger Kenyan/Tanzanian Monadeniums "spring dormant," since they grow through summer and flower in fall/winter.

-R

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for that!

But ask you, how come my Jades are not dormant..It has been very hot here, and they have been continually growing...Even my cuttings rooted fast. I see no difference in their growing cycle from winter to summer...as long as I am watering correctly, and they are getting sunlight, winter or summer, they grow..

Mike

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

X BRAVO! Each species is different. Learn to read your plants. That is the reason no list were made that I know of. That is the reason comments or advise is not given in books. I have San. in Flower now. Most of mine flower starting Sept. through the winter and start to grow after they flower. I have winter Crassula growing now, why I don't know. (multicava) I have some flowering one month out of season. Mine still go by the natural light available. wheather below the equator or north of the equator. I still can't find it in books even what color the flowers are suposed to be. EXAMPLE: Crassula barbarta white flowers, however I found one in Africa one with pink flowers and pink flower stems. I have a Crassula capitella v. trysiflora white flowers how ever I have one with pink flowers and pink flower stems. They are just not the same either are brother of sisters. BRAVO X Norma

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Norma, a couple of my sans are blooming now too, these are ones in the ground that survived Ike & the freeze. I've never seen them bloom this time of year. This past winter threw all the plants off schedule. Then all the rain, I have cactus blooming right now, usually it's much earlier in the year for them.
    Tally HO!

• MojaveLove
    13 years ago

I know this is a really dumb question but I really just started growing succulents in my home a mere 2 months ago and am still learning.

I have a mix of summer and winter dormant plants according to the above. I know many succulents are not supposed to be watered more than once a month during the colder months because the cold can destroy their roots, I guess I thought this was the rule of thumb for all of them (I know it really is a plant by plant basis depending on lots of different things but I am just talking generally). Is this in direct relation to dormancy? So far I've only been watering my Sanseveria, Crassulas and Echeverias once a month and it SEEMS like this is ok (though my Crassulas seem to be moody right now but I saw that they lose some of their leaves this time of year, and they have healthy new growth so not too worried), my Sans is extremely pleased with me actually, and I think I even put it in the wrong soil (whoops - first house plant ever though!).

Anyway, so what I guess I need clarification on as a "newbie succulent gardener" is - summer dormant means water less in summer, winter dormant means water less in winter, or it just means that is when it takes a break from growing? Again, I know it depends on a lot of different things but I'm talking about generally.

Thanks for the help!

• penfold2
    13 years ago

First of all, there is a distinction between obligate summer/winter growers, and opportunistic growers. Obligate summer/winter growers are genetically programmed to go dormant at certain times of the year, while opportunistic growers go dormant only when seasonal conditions force them to. So obligate summer/winter growers will go dormant no matter how you treat them, while opportunistic growers can typically be kept growing year round.

Withholding water is only necessary when there is a risk of rot, or when trying to influence growth form (e.g. fattening up caudiciforms). With a porous soil, and sufficient heat and light, rot risk is greatly reduced, and most plants can be watered whenever their soil dries out. This is how I treat many of my plants, and they do fine, dormant or not. The key is to water only when the soil dries out, not on a set schedule.

• MojaveLove
    13 years ago

Interesting! Thanks for explaining, I think I may be under watering my little plants then!