Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying succulents and cactus, please!

Posted by Sbgibbons California (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:29

Sorry for posting this if it has already been posted, but I'm new to this and I'm not sure what to search to find what I'm looking for. I'm new to gardening, but it's something that I definitely enjoy. I'm having an issue though because when I buy a new cactus or succulent sometimes it's only labeled as "cactus" or "succulent" and I've tried identifying them, but I'm not having any luck, so if y'all could, please help me! :)

The succulent in the red pot, I've read is either a Mexican snowball or chicks and hens. The trio in the clay pot- the tall blue succulent is senecio.. something. There are so many senecios. Haha. I have no idea what the green one is and the other one looks like a Mexican snowball, but it's on a stem. And the cactus that is in the yellow pot I think it's a ball cactus, but I'm not sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying succulents and cactus, please!

Red pot is an echeveria. Green one in clay pot is a sedum. Don't know rest.

o

hi! the white one in the clay pot ooks like graptopetalum "white ghost", your sencio is a "blue chalk sticks" and the one in the red pot is an echeveria as winterfell says, so it could be mexican snowball, definitely not hens and chicks but it also looks like a million other echeverias. the green one in the clay pot looks like "pork and beans" that has not gotten in the sun which is why it is all green and not blushing red.

o

Red pot is most likely Echeveria elegans. Clay pot has two sedums at the front, the green one is Sedum rubrotinctum "aurora" or "jelly bean" I think. The plant at the back is senecio mandraliscae aka. blue chalk stick.

I'm not cactus expert sorry.

o

Thank y'all very much. Y'all have helped tremendously. I'm going to Google all of these names and see the turn out.

And amarloestodo- hmm, it is in the sun for a good while. It gets about 2-3 hours of direct sun in the morning. I have them on my porch for the rest of the time because I'm afraid of them burning. I live in the Southern end of the San Jaoquin valley and the sun is extreme with temps upwards of 100° daily. Do you think they can handle more sun than what I'm giving them?

o

i live where it is hot also so i understand! its hard to find a bablance. yes, they can handle more sun. heat, probably they would prefer not. i would try and get them 4 hours of sun, minimum but watch for burn the first week as they adjust. those particular varieties are not ones i have seen being too sensitive to heat.

o

Okay, I'll definitely try that. Thanks so much for your help. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here