Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drebenc

Yellow lower leaves

drebenc
10 years ago

This green goddess was planted less than a week ago. It was purchased from Lowes and was all green when I placed it into the strawberry jar. I only watered lightly to settle the cactus soil/perlite mix once the planting was conplete and haven't watered it at all since. I have been protecting it from the rain and afternoon sun by placing it under my patio. I have however been placing it in full morning sun until about 1pm since temps and humidity are high after that here in South Louisiana. Can someone help me to figure out what's causing the yellow leaves? Too much sun? Is this what is called bleaching?

Comments (7)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Questions. Did you remove the peat soli mix that was arround the roots before you planted it? Peat , once dry becomes hydrophobic and becomes hard to re wet. One could be water ing your soil but the soil around the root remains dry.

For future reference, it is best not to water right after planting. One can settle the soil by thumping the pot on the floor a couple of times. I usually wait till thenext watering cycle.

Sometimes a plant will go into a bit of shock. after planting. It could just be the plant dropping a few leaves. They do that naturally.

• Deion
    10 years ago

Mine do that too, and I would love to know why. I donôt think I have been neglecting them, but lately more than one leave has gone bad in almost each of my plants.

From time to time, they loose one or two, but lately more than one of my plants is losing leaves quite quickly.

The only thing I can recomend is inspecting the roots. Do they look like rotted? Are there any bugs in the soil?

Good luck.

• drebenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses. I was unsure whether to water immediately or not too so I'm glad that you mentioned it. From what I remember, the soil in the nursery pot was completely dry and pulled away from the edges. I had to break off some in order to be able to fit it in the hole in the pot but I don't remember if I removed a lot around the base. I will take care next time to try to remove as much as possible before planting. Thanks again!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I find, no matter what I do, I will lose a few lower on rosette-type succulents when I repot. It happens for a couple of weeks, then stops when the plant settles in and starts to grow.

• drebenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's good to know especially if it happens to the others I can be more at ease about it instead of freaking out. Thanks for your response!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I agree with lots said above...too much water will cause that kind of yellowing, shock from repot, roots broken off -working on growing more. It should make a come back. =)

• drebenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's great, thanks! One last question. Since I shouldn't water them to settle everything, after removing them from their nursery pots and replanting in another pot, how long should I wait to water those with roots as opposed to cuttings without? I normally wait about 1-2 weeks before watering the cuttings. Then once per week along with the rest of my containers that are root bound. I have read several past threads and some are so conflicting. I have even read all of Debra lee Baldwin's books and watched several, ok more like a million youtube videos and instead of feeling more confident, I'm left more confused, lol!