Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctgardener14

Trying to save bonsai (Port afra?)

CTgardener14
9 years ago

I rescued this bonsai from a neglectful co-worker bc I was sure I could nurse it back to health: It had largely dried & had only about 10 leaf pairs left. But after coming home with me on a long train ride (in a shopping bag, no less), it's actually doing worse! It's lost all but 4 leaves. Maybe I overwatered? I was sure it was parched, so in the last week I've watered it a few times--lightly then a soak today. She had it for no more than 6-8 months in an office (indoor lighting) away from all windows. I put it in my kitchen window, which gets morning light (my orchid & kalanchoe love it there). Some stems are withered, but trunk seems firm. Do I fertilize? Stop watering? Help!

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I don't know if it'll survive, but keep watering and put it in the sun. These plants don't do well indoors. Mine sulk during the Winter even in the sunniest windows.

Josh

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

They are also a succulent plant, so you can do away with the humidity tray if that's what it's there for. Up here in Wisconsin, with our long winters, it's tough to grow a decent P. Afra without a greenhouse or intense growing lights, for the reason Josh stated.

Joe

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

How are you so sure of that Joe? Can you tell what kind of plant that is? That's not a P. afra as far as I can see, the stem is wrong for it.

From here it looks like it might be a very struggling Ficus, so maybe a humidity tray might be good for that.

That trunk sure doesn't look succulent to me.

• CTgardener14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a close-up, if that helps. I had trouble figuring out what kind of tree it is, but the leaves are thin and delicate (rather than thick and water-filled) and looked like the P afra I saw online. It's been trained into a small tree-like form.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

The stem segments/nodes look like P. Afra to me, as well as the leaf growth right in the middle. Also, the dried up leaves laying in the mix look just like the ones laying in all the P. Afra pots at the local nursery. The upper stems look quite dry and shriveled up though, making it look odd. I can't be 100%, but it sure looks like a P. Afra to me.

Joe

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Checking back I see a second pic was posted......100% sure it's P. Afra.

Joe

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Says P. afra to me and looking rather thirsty to dehydrated.

I've seen and had worse, safe to say It wont look good over night thats for sure, thinking about two years.
    In my opinion how to proceed : Would think early morning light bug screen down open air exposure 24/7. Better if inside for the summer and for a while. Certainly dont need the summer outside heat to slow it down by drying it quicker than you would need to rehydrate it back to looking better.

• CTgardener14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two years! What a lesson. Should I trim the dead shriveled branches or just let it be? It's inside but the window is closed. I could move it to another window that opens upstairs, though, so it can be exposed to open air (with screen) and actually more light, since the second floor gets afternoon light as well. I read that P afras actually need water, correct, so do keep watering?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Let it be! It will naturally shed the branches that it can't support.

Yes, you'll need to keep the mix moist. But it needs outdoor sunlight. You want sun striking the branches, but not necessarily roasting the bonsai pot.

Josh

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

If that was my plant i would pull it out of that bonsai container to check roots and soil. Then re pot in a plastic nursery pot with the best soil you can put together. Last thing would be to transition into a sunny location.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio