Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_eee

Old gardener trying to learn new tricks

_eee
9 years ago

Hi all, I am 10 years new to the desert (Indio) and I am still learning how to garden out here. My first love is growing Adeniums (Desert Roses) and Brugmansias (Angel Trumpets) but I also grow lot of other plants. I have had no trouble growing cactus and I do well with succulents until summer when the temps rise. I have tried watering only when my water meter show dry, I have tried watering once a week then twice a week but I still lose most of them and by the end of summer I start all over. Any secrets or suggestions you would like to share would be soooo appreciated.
Thank you, Dottie

Comments (4)

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Hi Dottie, I had a rough time learning how to grow plants in the desert and I can still say I'm on the curve... I have a few things still croaking at the height of summer before the monsoons hit.
    I can say it's not only a matter of watering when dry, but choosing a medium that drains appropriately, how much water you apply at what time of the day (I do evenings), and sun exposure. I cluster plants that do well under the same conditions for efficiency. Don't know about water meters and what they deem as "dry," but some cacti like to be quite dry before watering. Lots of helpful people on here that could tell you their experiences with certain plants if you ask (pics help).
    Hope you figure it out! For every healthy plant I currently have, there is a swath of compost that got me there.

-Ming

• hijole
    9 years ago

Hi Dottie, Well I guess you enjoy challenges, I kinda responded to this on my post but it deserves another response on here, your right about the cactus part and having too start over after summer makes perfect sense with the heat out there.

I'm not sure how many succulents you carry but bringing them indoors is one thought at least for the hottest months but then again not sure if you have tons of them or not. Having to start over because of the scorching heat is terrible however... I could bring them to my house right before spring ends instead of letting them suffer.

Just kidding of course but I have been known for plant sitting :)

I know it gets up to 110ð & sometimes even hotter out there, I think the difference out where I'm at is that its not so hot for the whole day & night like it is in Indio, Ca.

Another tip would be screens over a patio to shade them and maybe even some misters. I notice a lot of Restaurants out in Palm Springs, Ca. have them for the peeps who are brave enough to go out there in the
    summer.

I'll keep my eye open for other suggestions too, in the mean time stay indoors, drink plenty of fluids and if you have to go outside stay in the shade.

Greg

• _eee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ming, thank you for your response. I think you are right about the soil, I need to make it more pores. Come Sept. I will be trying again and hoping for better results.
    Dottie

• _eee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Greg, thanks. I do have them in the shade but sadly they are not happy there either. I guess I shouldn't complain because I have so many other plants that I enjoy but there are so many succulents that I love to look at.
    Thanks again, Dottie